Caravan noseweight

dandycamper replied on 27/02/2019 09:51

Posted on 27/02/2019 09:51

hi just bought a bailey phoenix 2 berth and I cannot get the noseweight above 48kilos I have everything on the floor at the front of the van awning/water container/bedding in the front etc I have nothing behind the axle when it was delivered it was about 20kilos on the nose.acording to the 5/7% ratio it should be 68kilos minimum.any one else with the same problem. and is it safe to tow with such a low nose weight.

JVB66 replied on 27/02/2019 10:12

Posted on 27/02/2019 10:12

It is unusual to find a Bailey with low nose weight as usually the complaint is just the opposite,is your gauge ok 

replied on 27/02/2019 10:15

Posted on 27/02/2019 10:15

As above - how are you measuring your noseweight? 

dandycamper replied on 28/02/2019 11:48

Posted on 28/02/2019 11:48

used proper noseweight gauge and to check I used the bathroom scale method both were the same when I first got the van the hitch would not engage unless I pushed down on it that's how light it was.

replied on 28/02/2019 12:19

Posted on 28/02/2019 12:19

Seems thorough then Mike. I asked because gauges have been known to read wrongly. Bathroom scales are my choice as I can check their calibration easily by standing on them.

Not sure about stability but you seem to have achieved about a 4% ratio.

In your position I would have preferred more weight obviously. All I can compare with is my own previous Lunar ES which unladen on collection and when taken for service with motor mover and battery is probably 1,300kg with a noseweight of just under 60kg in that condition. At those times it does feel that it would be more twitchy if I were to throw it about in a difficult situation. With that 4.5% ratio on mine I would not fancy high speeds on motorways. When I took previous van in that unladen condition (with a sleeping bag) a 150 miles down to visit Alde at Wellingborough I added additional ballast at the front of the caravan for the tow down and back as I did not fancy the ride otherwise.

I have a newer ES which feels similar unladen but I have not checked its unladen noseweight.

Navigateur replied on 28/02/2019 12:46

Posted on 28/02/2019 12:46

Could the levelness of the ground on which you are taking the measurements be affecting the reading?  Have you tried measuring at another place yet? And making sure the brake is disengaged at the wheels?

My Bailey Senator is usually reading overweight when measured on my gauge, yet when I move it on the mover it often rears up at the front!  Slight slopes and reaction of moments around the axles.

Lutz replied on 28/02/2019 13:01

Posted on 28/02/2019 13:01

When I picked up my caravan new from the dealer I estimated that the noseweight was only round about 20kg, but that was before there were gas bottles, spare wheel or anything else in the front locker. It towed reasonably well on my way home although one did feel a slight unease in the outfit, so I had to be even more careful than usual. However, this was a one-off journey and I now have no difficulty in achieving 80kg, which is the towbar limit and everything is fine.

Do you have a spare wheel for your caravan and if so, where is that located? Perhaps that can be moved up front, either inside the caravan, in the front locker - if there's enough space - or underneath on a spare wheel carrier.

What's the payload margin? If you've got enough to play with and you can't find anything else to load the caravan with up front, at worst you could fill the water container with water, but of course with the weight of a filled container you'd have to take care to secure it properly while in transit. That would be the least desirable option, but it could be the solution as a last resort.

replied on 28/02/2019 13:04

Posted on 28/02/2019 13:04

Do you have a spare wheel for your caravan and if so, where is that located? Perhaps that can be moved up front, either inside the caravan, in the front locker - if there's enough space - or underneath on a spare wheel carrier.

Good idea and what I would have considered but no front locker on this and recent Bailey models

replied on 28/02/2019 13:10

Posted on 28/02/2019 12:46 by Navigateur

Could the levelness of the ground on which you are taking the measurements be affecting the reading?  Have you tried measuring at another place yet? And making sure the brake is disengaged at the wheels?

My Bailey Senator is usually reading overweight when measured on my gauge, yet when I move it on the mover it often rears up at the front!  Slight slopes and reaction of moments around the axles.

Posted on 28/02/2019 13:10

Good point about possible effect of brakes and one that I had not considered as it is rare that I engage handbrake. I suspect OP would have considered gradient if significant. 

dandycamper replied on 02/03/2019 09:33

Posted on 02/03/2019 09:33

I have checked the noseweight severall times in different locations spare wheel in bailey is in the front ns bed locker awning in the off side two  chairs in the ns all the bits and ie electric hook up cable in the front off side. water containers on the floor at the front.the motor mover is fixed on the front of the axle. the only thing is the battery  which is fixed in the box behind the axle. I can lift the front up with one hand with no effort .their is nothing else loaded in the van .it does tow like a dream up to about 55.

crown green bowler replied on 02/03/2019 10:54

Posted on 02/03/2019 10:54

Your van must be completely level to get a true reading, try another spirit level. Also if your van sits nose down when on the car it will put more weight on the ball.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook