Caravan Newbie in a panic- MTPLM - BMW530D M Sport

ScreenName712C2C851B replied on 25/07/2020 17:08

Posted on 25/07/2020 17:08

Hello Everyone

Firstly thanks for looking at this thread.

As a family of 4 (kids 10 & 12) we are looking to purchase a caravan and identified a Bailey Barcelona (MTPLM 1723kg) as our first caravan.

So speaking to friends etc they assure me that my BMW 530D which has:

A max towing weight of 2000kg, kerb weight of 1810kg / 1825kg (see two values) will be fine?

But can you help on the BMW MTPLM?

If the MTPLM is 1810kg and the caravan is 1723kg then this means 1810 = 95.2% have I calculated this correct>?

Can I tow this, some information seems to suggest you can tow between 85% to 100%

1810kg is the standard car with fuel etc, when we use the car with the caravan for holidays then we will have a roof box / boot and be putting the weight into the car, would this increase the MTPLM and make the car heavier and make it better?

The Caravan has ALDI breaks, twin axle and ALCO stabilizer (2015) model 

Lutz replied on 28/07/2020 21:51

Posted on 28/07/2020 19:57 by MikeyA

The only problem with Lutz's suggestion is that if you are unhappy with the balance and towing of the outfit then you are probably looking to upgrade to a Discovery/Range Rover type vehicle. Would it not be more sensible to reduce the proposed caravan to a shorter single axle which will be easier to tow on our congested roads especially our narrow country lanes.

We also had two children but we managed perfectly well in our little Elddis before upsizing to a Challenger 440 as they grew. 

Posted on 28/07/2020 21:51

Not need to upgrade to a Discovery/Range Rover. It is quite possible that another towcar of the same weight as his current BMW performs better. Weight alone doesn't guarantee a stable outfit.

replied on 28/07/2020 23:33

Posted on 27/07/2020 14:54 by Jazzybaby

As per other advice,  (I guessed the car age) I wouldn't personally want to tow this outfit.  I have 25 years of experience.  

Below is the info from the C.M.C tow car matching service. 

BMW 5 Series 530d M Sport (2017)
Make BMW
Range 530d M Sport
Model 5 Series
Year 2017
Fuel type Diesel
Transmission type Automatic
Body type Saloon
Kerb weight 1715.00kg
Towing limit 2000.00kg
Gross vehicle weight 2345.00kg
Gross train weight 4355.00kg
Nose weight 90.00kg
BHP 265
RPM for maximum BHP 4000.00
Maximum torque 620.00
RPM for maximum torque 2000.00
Bailey Unicorn Series 3 Barcelona (2015)
Make Bailey
Range Unicorn Series 3
Model Barcelona
Year 2015
Type Caravan
Berths 4
Number of axles 2
MTPLM 1723kg
MIRO 1560kg
User payload 163kg
Hitch limit Unknown
Shipping length 7.92m
Overall width 2.28m
Overall height 2.61m
Body Length 6.37m

Posted on 28/07/2020 23:33

I suspect that, being a twin axle, it should tow OK.

My car is a similar weight at 10 kg heavier. but has nearly half the HP at 136. With the claimed horsepower I would not consider the van as I would loose around 95 kg off the payload for battery and twin axle motor movers making it untenable unless a weight upgrade was available of around 40kg as a minimum even for us as just a couple.

In my personal situation because there is only 6.5 metres between the dropped kerb on my side of the road and the wall of the opposite property I am limited to 7m shipping length, maybe a tad more but not much. When I swing the caravan in on the motor mover I get to within 300mm of the opposite wall. 

allanandjean replied on 29/07/2020 07:26

Posted on 29/07/2020 07:26

"Not an option for me. I had a 1200 CC HC Viva estate"

Hi easy, Great post and we were about 10 years behind you getting a van, we were tenters till then.

My first vehicle, loaned to me by my boss, was a Viva van with no accelerator peddle, the throttle cable was tied to the steering column and had a 4 inch bolt at the end to operate it.

Our car when we decided to look for a van was a Audi 80 Sport with near 100k mileage.

All the vans we were able to afford were as you found, bloomin heavy and with glass windows and gas mantle lighting till an ex hire Avondale Perle Olympus turned up. It was very battered but the only thing we could safely tow and it did us for 4 years.

replied on 29/07/2020 08:57

Posted on 29/07/2020 08:57

My first vehicle, loaned to me by my boss, was a Viva van with no accelerator peddle, the throttle cable was tied to the steering column and had a 4 inch bolt at the end to operate it.

When of our early holidays was using a site above Matlock Bath. There were two ways to get there and one must have been a relatively steep narrow lane. It may have been only 1 in 10 I don't know. I do know that it was too steep for a HA viva van towing a caravan though. The driver had braked for an animal and with about 1056 cc and 44 BHP was never going to restart. I reversed out of the lane, drove a roundabout route and reversed down the lane to him we fastened on a tow rope and I assisted him up the hill. I think my instruction to him was along the lines of 'keep your engine revving and clutch in with first gear selected and when you feel the first tug let the clutch up and give it go - we wont be going fast'. I suspect that with the rear wheel drive I might have pulled the train weight as it was probably mo more than 2.5 ton for the two vehicle and caravan.

ScreenName712C2C851B replied on 06/08/2020 20:43

Posted on 27/07/2020 10:49 by Amesford

Found this info on Vin plates 

https://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/towing-capacity#:~:text=The%20VIN%20Plate&text=The%20top%20figure%20'A'%20is,of%20the%20vehicle%20and%20trailer.

Posted on 06/08/2020 20:43

Some fantastic experience on this thread, thank you for your contributions everyone.

So the VIN plate says gross train weight 4560kg and maximum allowable mass 2470kg =  maximum towing capacity 

So 4520kg - 2470kg = 2090kg 

At the beginning I read all the threads and it worried me even more to the point of potentially calling the deal off and forgetting all about it, back to the once per year flight to the sun in a 5* hotel.

But speaking to a good friend and looking at the same van this is what we fancied, it matched our requirement. When cancelling the MCEA engineer we had a really good chat, the gentleman is past retirement age but still works as a MCEA engineer and a volunteer, not as he needs to be because with his volunteering he likes to help people.

Wow want a font of knowledge, he explained the risks between single axle and double axle and potential blow outs but lots of other things.

Looking at all the discussions, common sense, be legal, safe and following the rules the Bailey Barcelona is ok to tow, the BMW has the power and will not be over the 1810kg mtplm or is that now 2090kg based on the above equation?

Its legal, I need to be practical and keep to the speed limits, weights etc (not taking the kitchen sink).

So its time to relax and not over think this, start the caravan journey and learn but not the hard way.

I'm looking forward to making new friends, great family holidays and combining the caravan with sporting events and trips to Europe (if they let us in)

Alot of caravan choices are at everyone discretion / personnel choice etc.

I done lots of research, the choice is now made and I'm out of panic mode :)  

Many thanks everyone 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook