Caravan Dealers - are any of them any good?

Reedit replied on 26/08/2021 13:38

Posted on 26/08/2021 13:38

On another discussion thread everyone is advising me to go with a Caravan Dealer, rather than a private seller. We want to buy the best caravan we can, it will be our big jump over to caravans after many years of motorhoming. 

But has anyone come across a really good Caravan Dealership that they would recommend?  We've been to 6 different ones around the country and so far, we've found it difficult to even find one which has staff who are prepared to come and talk to you, let alone sell to you!  At every one so far, they just vaguely wave their hands towards the stock and tell you to look around and then disappear and you are left completely on your own.  Surely people MUST have had some good experiences and met dealerships they'd recommend?

Tinwheeler replied on 26/08/2021 13:47

Posted on 26/08/2021 13:47

Most dealerships are good when they’re taking your money. It’s the aftercare you need you look at. That is, how they respond when you go back with a warranty issue and it is that very 'going back' that makes buying close to home a good idea.

We've bought numerous caravans and MHs over the last 50 years and there isn't one dealer who stands out in my mind as being 'any good'.

Reedit replied on 26/08/2021 14:06

Posted on 26/08/2021 13:47 by Tinwheeler

Most dealerships are good when they’re taking your money. It’s the aftercare you need you look at. That is, how they respond when you go back with a warranty issue and it is that very 'going back' that makes buying close to home a good idea.

We've bought numerous caravans and MHs over the last 50 years and there isn't one dealer who stands out in my mind as being 'any good'.

Posted on 26/08/2021 14:06

That's a bit of a sad thing to read.  You'd really think that some of them could be bothered to stand out in a crowded market place in this day and age, when reviews can really matter!

But I can really see your point about what matter is what happens when you contact them AFTER about problems.  I can see why buying close to home can help with that.

DavidKlyne replied on 26/08/2021 15:00

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:00

I must have been lucky as the two dealers I have used over the last 23 years, three new caravans and two new motorhomes have been pretty good. I had three Swift stable caravans between 1998 and 2013 all of which I had no major issues with, in fact I would go as far as saying they were pretty much trouble free. I am now on my second Bailey motorhome both of which I have been pleased with. The first one did have a few issues but these were always put right by the dealer to my satisfaction. 

David

brue replied on 26/08/2021 15:05

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:05

We've been the same David, sometimes things do go wrong or need attention but we've always got things sorted amicably and to our satisfaction. 

Reedit replied on 26/08/2021 15:26

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:26

Would you feel comfortable to share the names of the Dealers you've felt so happy with?  I see you are in Bucks and we're in Oxon, so quite nearby.

Reedit replied on 26/08/2021 15:27

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:05 by brue

We've been the same David, sometimes things do go wrong or need attention but we've always got things sorted amicably and to our satisfaction. 

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:27

Thanks for that.  Could you let me know who they are?  Good people giving good service deserve to be shared around I think!

richardandros replied on 26/08/2021 15:38

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:38

We bought our Knaus from a dealer 150 miles away from home - so a 300 mile round trip.  Not ideal by any means but the service we have received from them at Adventure Leisure Vehicles in Tebay, Cumbria has been excellent - largely down to (but not limited to) their Chief Tech who is totally trustworthy, very thorough and always willing to please. Yes, we have had a few issues with the van but they have been sorted out to my complete satisfaction and I've also had a few little jobs (non warranty) done as a 'favour' when it's gone in for service. I have had the opportunity to take it to another Knaus dealer much closer to home but have not been impressed by their initial response to my queries / requests and have therefore stuck with ALV, despite the travelling involved.

When we were buying from them - having made an appointment to view, we were looked after by the Sales Director personally and his attention to detail in concluding that sale has been reflected in our dealings with all of the staff  at ALV that we have come across.

We got 'good vibes' when we were there looking at vans and took the opportunity to talk to most of the sales and after-sales staff.  I think from what the OP is saying - he didn't - so he's best to continue looking until he feels he has confidence in the level of service offered by all the staff.

brue replied on 26/08/2021 15:48

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:27 by Reedit

Thanks for that.  Could you let me know who they are?  Good people giving good service deserve to be shared around I think!

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:48

I'm not prepared to advertise on here and I think you need to find your van first and then see what the salesmanship feels like! Start looking and start talking at a dealership and you may find out all sorts of information, vans coming in, etc etc. smile

Tinwheeler replied on 26/08/2021 15:57

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:27 by Reedit

Posted on 26/08/2021 15:57

A dealership is only as good, or bad, as it’s staff and they change frequently. A company recommended as being good a couple of years ago could be completely the opposite now and one person's opinion of good may not be the same as yours.

Reedit replied on 26/08/2021 16:34

Posted on 26/08/2021 16:34

That's not a problem and I understand.  Sometimes though, you come across businesses which just impress you so much you want to tell people about them!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook