Caravan Club prices question

Dr Nigel replied on 01/02/2016 23:47

Posted on 01/02/2016 23:47

You must excuse me...I'm new to all of this, and want to ask a question that may sound naiive, but I genuinely don't know the answer...

I've been comparing the caravan club prices to equivalent French sites...what I don't understand is...

In France, wages of staff are higher, tax is higher and energy prices are lower, and they don't charge a membership fee...

So why are the French out of season prices nearly half of what the Caravan Club charge in the UK? 

Am I missing something?

DavidKlyne replied on 02/02/2016 00:04

Posted on 02/02/2016 00:04

I don't think you can compare as they are two different markets. If those French sites did not charge low prices they would be empty. They don't have the same touring tradition as the UK, certainly as far as caravans are concerned. Its one of the reasons you are seeing and increasing number of mobile home variants on French campsites as the French are now more inclined to hire something rather than take their own caravan. Years ago they would place their van onsite for up to three months but that tradition seems to be fading away now. Out of season you tend to see more French motorhomes using sites. We stayed at a site on the outskirts of Limoges at the beginning of October last year. It cost £12 a night but had only a dozen or so units on site. The Club site at York is always full despite the prices. It was also not long ago that the Club site were not making a profit but a small loss so another reason for prices being higher here.

David

richardandros replied on 02/02/2016 06:28

Posted on 02/02/2016 06:28

Yet, we've just spent a week at Chatsworth - another popular site and from Monday to Friday afternoon, there were only about 10 units on site out of a capacity of 120. At over £20 per night for the two of us, I do think there is a case for reducing low season rates - or at least giving it a try to see what effect there is on take-up.

bluerocket5 replied on 02/02/2016 07:43

Posted on 02/02/2016 07:43

we use cl sites now to keep costs down it suits us but I agree it would be better to see club sites utilised  but what the solution is to this conundrum I am unsure? 

cyberyacht replied on 02/02/2016 08:08

Posted on 02/02/2016 08:08

When it comes to out of season/ mid-week discounts, the CC do not seem to have grasped the concept that half a loaf is better than no bread.

ValDa replied on 02/02/2016 08:10

Posted on 02/02/2016 08:10

The whole French economy is different.  Because of the benefit system many French residents and even small business owners are able to not work during the winter, and get 90% of their salaries.  This means shorter opening times for everything including campsites - saving on all those empty winter pitches, staff costs, heating, etc, as the site is shut.   Many French campsites are only open from April or May until September.

The same thing applies to hotels, restaurants, and other businesses, which have become very seasonal.  There is no longer a need for the village restaurant to stay open all winter, to cater for the odd lonely and cold hiker - they close at the end of September, and re-open again in May - whilst all the staff, and even the owners, continue to receive a high proportion of their salary.

So, they don't have to make the same annual profit in a few busy months, in order to keep going for the whole year hence when they are actually open they are still able to offer three course lunches for just ten or twelve euros - attracting summer business,  or campsite pitches at just ten or twelve euros even in May, June and late August.

However, on the other hand, French taxes and social charges for small businesses are rising into the realms of the 'undoable' and the long term effects of this conundrum remain to be seen as at the moment the 'people' are holding the balance of power, rather than businesses.

young thomas replied on 02/02/2016 08:13

Posted on 02/02/2016 08:13

other than a six (or so) week period from mid July to end August (approx), french sites are off-peak....with ACSI you can get a pitch on a wonderfully equipped site (pools, bar, restaurant, kids play area, sports area, fully staffed etc, etc) for €11 upwards.....

in the uk, peak periods have been continually extended to 'catch' (exploit) folk so that finding a period that isnt (distantly) related to some holiday somewhere (and therefore commensutately more expensive) is increasingly difficult.

witness the introduction of 'shoulder' seasons (peak in disguise) and upto six (yes, six) price bands at a number of CC sites, some varying by a few pence but there just to squeeze the last drop from an unsuspecting wallet.....

the culture is different....the french just wont stand for being ripped off, we make a career out of it....

InaD replied on 02/02/2016 08:56

Posted on 02/02/2016 08:56

When it comes to out of season/ mid-week discounts, the CC do not seem to have grasped the concept that half a loaf is better than no bread.

Well put, CY.  Only yesterday I was checking a few CC sites out for the end of February, beginning of March.  Considering a stay at York Rowntree for a few nights followed by 3 or 4 at Wharfedale, Grassington.  York works out at £19.60 per night for 2, Wharfedale at £20.10.  Admittedly, they offer MWD, but Fri, Sat and Sun it's £20.10.  I could understand York being the more expensive site, as it's one of the "honeypot sites".  Wharfedale, in fact, has gone up by £3 per night compared to the same period last year.

replied on 02/02/2016 09:02

Posted on 02/02/2016 09:02

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

ValDa replied on 02/02/2016 09:06

Posted on 02/02/2016 09:06

Well put, CY.  Only yesterday I was checking a few CC sites out for the end of February, beginning of March.  Considering a stay at York Rowntree for a few nights followed by 3 or 4 at Wharfedale, Grassington.  York works out at £19.60 per night for 2, Wharfedale at £20.10.  Admittedly, they offer MWD, but Fri, Sat and Sun it's £20.10.  I could understand York being the more expensive site, as it's one of the "honeypot sites".  Wharfedale, in fact, has gone up by £3 per night compared to the same period last year.

Half a loaf prices available at our place Ina!  You can park in our drive for a small fee!  Between both places - and ideally placed for long cycle rides!

Boff replied on 02/02/2016 09:15

Posted on 02/02/2016 09:15

As someone who supports high peak season prices as a form of demand management. Then it also makes sense to reduce the prices during less popular times to attract more customers. Obviously the price can't be reduced to or below the marginal cost of the pitch, so if cost to the club of a van on a site is £6 per night then there is no point charging £5

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook