Car to caravan weight ratios

kath99 replied on 30/01/2017 12:18

Posted on 30/01/2017 12:18

This is my first post.  Yesterday I put a deposit on our first caravan, finally.  I've read and reread your words of wisdom about weights but the only one that sticks in my thick head is the 85% guideline.  Having recently bought a bigger car to open our options, I've now put a deposit on a Lunar Ariva, one of the smallest caravans (MTPLM 999kgs).  Our new car - a 2 litre Zafira Tourer kerbweight 1780kgs is probably a bit overkill, but we are inexperienced and quite nervous of towing - up hills and round corners anyway!   We decide and pay on Thursday.

My questions are about this heavy/light car to caravan ratio . Will it cause a problem for loading? Can all our packed stuff be handled comfortably in the back of the car?  Or do I need to even the ratio by storing in the caravan? In which case have I made a mistake in thinking a lightweight caravan  is the best choice for nervous beginners?

Thanks in advance. kath

Wildwood replied on 30/01/2017 14:12

Posted on 30/01/2017 14:12

Given the weight ratio I cannot see any problem with loading either the car or caravan. Do try to get the nose weight right though by moving things in the caravan but do not put heavy items right at the back and try to keep them as low down as possible.

The other thing to watch is the weight of what you put in the car boot as too much might overload the back axle so spread things between the two. If you have a heavy awning my best place for it is between the back and front seats or on the caravan floor over the axle.

Your weight ratio is probably as good as it gets so do not worry.

NevChap replied on 30/01/2017 14:32

Posted on 30/01/2017 14:32

You should have no problems with the car/caravan combination you describe. As Wildwood says make sure you load sensibly - heavy items in the caravan low down and close to the axle and keep heavy items in the car between the axles ie not just inside the boot but further forward. You will find the outfit will ride better laden than it does empty so when you collect it you may find it feels a little jumpy but this will change when car and caravan are loaded. Take it easy for your first trip and remember to enjoy yourselves. You'll soon wonder why you were apprehensive I'm sure.

NevChap replied on 30/01/2017 14:32

Posted on 30/01/2017 14:32

Aha just realised why I'm getting duplicate posts. When I click on post and nothing happens I click again....and again. I need to be more patient and wait while the first click gets to work!

papgeno replied on 30/01/2017 14:40

Posted on 30/01/2017 14:40

One thing you should be careful about is not to overload the caravan. There is a weight limit which shouldn't be exceeded (MPTLM) you can find this in the handbook or on a plate somewhere on the van. Enjoy your trips away and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it 🤓

dmiller555 replied on 30/01/2017 15:34

Posted on 30/01/2017 15:34

I went on the Club's towing course which I recommend as it gave my confidence a boost. Caravans are provided so you don't have to worry about getting yours to the course venue.

Don't worry too much about towing, wherever you go your van is sure to follow. laughing 

Tinwheeler replied on 30/01/2017 16:27

Posted on 30/01/2017 16:27

You can't beat a heavy towcar and light van in my opinion. It sounds fine to me.

compass362 replied on 30/01/2017 16:40

Posted on 30/01/2017 12:18 by kath99

This is my first post.  Yesterday I put a deposit on our first caravan, finally.  I've read and reread your words of wisdom about weights but the only one that sticks in my thick head is the 85% guideline.  Having recently bought a bigger car to open our options, I've now put a deposit on a Lunar Ariva, one of the smallest caravans (MTPLM 999kgs).  Our new car - a 2 litre Zafira Tourer kerbweight 1780kgs is probably a bit overkill, but we are inexperienced and quite nervous of towing - up hills and round corners anyway!   We decide and pay on Thursday.

My questions are about this heavy/light car to caravan ratio . Will it cause a problem for loading? Can all our packed stuff be handled comfortably in the back of the car?  Or do I need to even the ratio by storing in the caravan? In which case have I made a mistake in thinking a lightweight caravan  is the best choice for nervous beginners?

Thanks in advance. kath

Posted on 30/01/2017 16:40

Hi & welcome , I tow with a Zafira 1.7dci  110bhp (2012) & our caravan is a 2014 Swift which weighs all in at 1200kgs .

We have never had any problems whatsoever & we travel all over , south coast to Plymouth on the steep A38 past Exeter, Whitby , North Norfolk , North Yorkshire & locally to several sites in the peak District  up via gellar & A515 to Buxton & Macclesfield , Wales & Cheddar this year .

Your 2 litre will take everything & anything in it's stride basic rule is anything heavy in the caravan on floor over the axle  , or in the car the Zafira boot is vast .

Relax & enjoy you'll be fine .👍 😇

N1805 replied on 30/01/2017 16:48

Posted on 30/01/2017 16:48

If you have concerns about the MPTLM once you have packed all you need in the right places you can go along to a local weighbridge who will weigh it for a small charge.  Once you get going I'm sure you'll have fun.

ocsid replied on 30/01/2017 17:23

Posted on 30/01/2017 17:23

One piece of advice not mentioned that is very important and easy to avoid things starting very badly, prepare to be able leave dealers with a safe noseweight.

I take a gas bottle and a few empty 5 litre water containers so I can ballast the van with a healthily high enough noseweight.

Being new you should ensure the handing over engineer makes sure, in front of you, he has checked what your vehicle and van can take and gets it to that value, before you even move; better before opening your wallet.

I saw the remains of a brand new Knaus that left the Portsmouth importer and did not get far on its wheels, but a fair way on its side.

As a guide it is best the noseweight is near touching as high as the kit will allow.

In no way intended to scare but give you a safe start to a great hobby.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook