Car & small caravan advice

Number Six replied on 17/05/2021 11:15

Posted on 17/05/2021 11:15

Hello,

We're completely new to caravanning and have decided we're now at the stage where we'd like to get a tow car and a small caravan, to start off with. We're looking for some advice as to what to get given our following criteria.

We have a max limit of £20k and out of this we are looking to get a small caravan that will fit on our small drive (such as a Swift Charisma 220 or Elddis Xplore 304) and a tow car that will suit a larger caravan if we decide to go larger at a later date and find suitable caravan storage for this.

I'm edging towards a 2012 (or around that year) Honda CR-V 2.2 manual diesel as these seem more plentiful than a Toyota RAV 4, which is my other choice. I was considering a 2016 Octavia hatch 2.0 TDI but I quite like the idea of a SUV or something that rides a bit higher.

With your experience, knowledge and wisdom, if you could start out again and had a budget of £20k what would you go for? Preferably the caravan and car mustn't be any older than 2010.

Thanks for reading.

Bakers2 replied on 17/05/2021 16:56

Posted on 17/05/2021 16:56

Hello and welcome, sorry cant help on the question raised but I'm sure there'll be help from the knowable folks on here

Tinwheeler replied on 17/05/2021 16:57

Posted on 17/05/2021 16:57

I think your choices sound as good as any you’re likely to find, No6.

Enjoy the hunt for what you want.

harry1000 replied on 01/09/2021 15:15

Posted on 01/09/2021 15:15

Elddis Xplore 304 is a four berth, first question is do you actually need a four berth?

The Elddis Xplore 304 is certainly at the lighter end, towable by almost any medium sized car, so you probably don't really need the towing capacity of the RAV4.

If there are just two of you, then the same size of caravan, but for two offers much more space and luxury.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook