Car for Bailey Discovery D4-4

Sparke2001 replied on 24/06/2021 21:47

Posted on 24/06/2021 21:47

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are considering purchasing a Bailey Discovery D4-4 was looking for some advice as completely new to touring.
My car is a 2013 Astra 1.6 Sri,  The power and weight specs are
Power   113 bhp | Weight  1578kg | Torque  155 Nm, 114 ft-lb

The Bailey Discovery D4-4 specs are
Shipping Length - 7.141m / 23′5″
Internal Length - 5.398m / 17′9″
Overall Width - 2.228m / 7′4″
MTPLM - 1206kg
MRO - 1059kg
Payload - 147kg 

I know as much as I won't be able to tow much due to the restriction on my licence 3500kg combined weight.
I just want to seek advice about my cars ability to tow this caravan. Weight wise it should be ok, but because it is a SRi with a low profile, bhp of 113 and Torque of 114 ft-lb I’m unsure if it has enough power to tow this caravan.
I would really appreciate any advice on the above.

Thank you,
Blaine

Metheven replied on 28/06/2021 12:17

Posted on 28/06/2021 12:17

Although you have quoted kerbweight I believe 1250kg is the maximum braked towing capacity, if so you will have to be very careful with your payload not to cause mechanical stress to the car by exceeding that figure.

Performance is going to be a little sedate but OK if not in a hurry. Be careful of your noseweight, again I believe it to be a maximum of 75kg so careful positioning of 'goods' in the caravan may be needed.

If the car is 'low profile' it may mean your caravan may adopt a nose down position when hitched.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook