Buying advice

Winnet replied on 11/06/2017 12:46

Posted on 11/06/2017 12:46

Hi, after exhaustive research, I am looking to buy a Hobby Prestige 620 CL (new). By far the best deal I can get is from BM Caravans in Dunstable, it is quite a hike from East Yorks. Does anyone have any experience of them please

DavidKlyne replied on 11/06/2017 14:08

Posted on 11/06/2017 14:08

Do you mean MB Caravans? I must admit, despite living only 20 miles away I have never heard of them. That might be because they seem to deal exclusively in the larger German caravans. Given that many people, in the past, have travelled to Germany to buy these makes of vans I would have thought even from East Yorks it's not that far in comparison. I suppose the reality is there is a limited number of such dealers in the UK so you would be lucky to have such a dealer on your doorstep. There used to be a Hobby Forum which might still be going and perhaps asking a question there might get a better range of answers?

David

tigerman replied on 11/06/2017 19:51

Posted on 11/06/2017 19:51

Winnet...have you tried BS Trading warley cross near brandsburton...east York's...never been myself but they advertise hobby and Fendt caravans...hope they can help they do have a web site....

ValDa replied on 11/06/2017 20:36

Posted on 11/06/2017 20:36

Have you enquired at Hobby Caravans at Ambergate in Derbyshire? They are obviously much nearer to you, and Derbyshire is a nice day out to boot!  I don't know what sort of deal you have been offered.......... but perhaps it's worth sticking with a nearer dealer in case of problems (even with Hobby, you just never know!)

Greygit replied on 12/06/2017 07:11

Posted on 12/06/2017 07:11

As most caravans seem to come off the production line with built in faults you might want to consider how many time you will have to travel backwards and forwards to the dealers to have the faults put right.   We bought locally so it hasn’t been too much trouble to get things fixed for us.

63ellsbells replied on 12/06/2017 08:28

Posted on 12/06/2017 07:11 by Greygit

As most caravans seem to come off the production line with built in faults you might want to consider how many time you will have to travel backwards and forwards to the dealers to have the faults put right.   We bought locally so it hasn’t been too much trouble to get things fixed for us.

Posted on 12/06/2017 08:28

I think that's why Winnet is after a Hobby, as opposed to a Bailey, Swift, etc that despite the 'new' build technology would seem to leak like a seive and be made of sponge in parts.

Not that Hobby don't have their own problems I'm sure, but probably not quite so in abundance..

N1805 replied on 12/06/2017 10:48

Posted on 12/06/2017 10:48

It really depends on the amount of risk you are willing to take.   I would look on google maps to check out the company advertising. Good luck

Oneputt replied on 13/06/2017 08:13

Posted on 13/06/2017 08:13

Can't help with your question re dealer/hobby.

If Dunstable dealer is the best deal for you, go for it.  

We brought our caravan (not a Hobby) in Sussex over a 125 miles from East Norfolk and when we take it back to the dealer we turn the trips into a long weekend, there is always a solution.

Good luck with your purchase

PS. You don't have to take the van back to the dealer you buy it from for warranty work. I spoke to Lunar dealers in Norfolk and both said they would do any warranty work.

young thomas replied on 13/06/2017 09:07

Posted on 13/06/2017 09:07

Go European at Gailey (nr Telford) do Hobby Motorhomes, perhaps ypu could get a Hobby caravan delivered there, might save you 100 miles or so.

we've had our last two MH from there are the deals are cracking.

good luck. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook