Buying a first used caravan

JulieandDean replied on 20/05/2023 13:26

Posted on 20/05/2023 13:26

Hi  we are used to caravanning in my in-laws caravan, which is small and quite old but well kept. 
we are hoping to buy a bigger newer caravan but not sure which makes are most well made and least problem makes  also which are sturdiest and will last a while as we are looking to keep for several years   I have seen people postin that German caravans are more well built and need less repairs   
we are just info gathering at the moment before deciding which make we want    Any ideas from other owners, particularly makes to keep away from ๐Ÿ˜‚  thanks

richardandros replied on 23/06/2023 15:18

Posted on 23/06/2023 15:18

Seeing as no one has replied as yet, and at the risk of boring other regulars on here, I am very much a fan of our Knaus Starclass.  Having owned caravans from the 2 main UK stables in the past, the build quality of the Knaus is in a totally different league. Everything is solid, totally over-engineered and clearly built to last.  That said, the MIRO (Mass in Running Order - i.e. without any 'kit' in it) with this Knaus is actually 10 kg lighter than our previous Barcelona.  Don't know how they've done it!

The Starclass was only made for 3 or 4 years, unfortunately, - because it's full UK spec with the door on the 'correct side and all the 'bells and whistles' of a UK van (and more) except for a solar panel. 

What has let ours down - has been third party equipment - used by all manufacturers.  For example, the Dometic toilet was useless and unreliable and I had it swapped for a Thetford.  I would never buy another van with a Dometic loo fitted. The Truma heating system is great - until it goes wrong and it's expensive to repair. The heating elements have a limited life span which isn't long.  I would opt for Alde if buying again simply for that reason.

The van has microswitch taps - the switches have failed in two of the taps and they are a bit of a pain to repair and expensive to replace.  A pressurised system, in my opinion, is a far better bet.

BUT - we've had our van nearly five years now - and until recently were out in it every month, all year round - nothing has dropped off, laminate hasn't peeled off, screws haven't dropped out or been missing - so in terms of the structure of the van - I can't fault it.

Where continental vans definitely do score is that, generally, they have a sensible payload (ours is 365kg) as compared with the typical 160kg or so, of UK vans.  An important practical and safety consideration.

I don't think the current Knaus range is as good - not such high quality.  If I were looking again (and I'm not), one of the first manufacturers I would be looking at is Adria - although I have no first hand experience of them.

Hope this helps

Tinwheeler replied on 23/06/2023 15:25

Posted on 23/06/2023 15:25

It looks like J&D might have been caught up in the approval system for new posters.

I can’t speak for German caravans but with regard to UK ones, there’s little to choose between brands as there is good and bad in them all. Get yourself a damp test meter as damp is the killer of caravans.

Dave Nicholson replied on 23/06/2023 20:24

Posted on 23/06/2023 20:24

Having caravanned for most of my life,  we’ve owned most of the UK makes over the years. Apart from one, we’ve been satisfied with them all but our current Fendt is in a different league. The German and Slovenian vans are likely to be more expensive but are definitely more robust and less vulnerable  to damp and structural problems.

eribaMotters replied on 23/06/2023 21:56

Posted on 23/06/2023 21:56

Another vote here for German vans. When you hear the tales of woe on  forums and campsites, the Germans do seem to come out better. Only problem is the dealer network available, but luckily you should not have to see them so often.

You will also generally have a decent payload instead of the to my mind dangerously small allowance seen on most UK vans.180kg on a C&MC award winning six berth twin axle, before fitting a mover is a typical example. On Wednesday I collect my next van, which has a 400kg payload once all the factory fitted options are allowed for along with the dealer fitted motor mover.

Colin

Tammygirl replied on 30/06/2023 13:39

Posted on 30/06/2023 13:39

We've had caravans for 40+ years, 1 was a German manufacturer. Well made but very heavy, that was in the days before movers. Since then we have had 2 Coachman. 1 Elddis, 1 Abbey, 1 Lunar and our first ever caravan was an Eccles Topaz.

We have never had any damp in any of our caravans, the Eccles and the Abbey were old vans wooden roof etc. Both vans lived to be over 30. We may well have been fortunate with all our vans as we've not had any build or third party equipment issues either.

The only leisure vehicle we have had, that we did have numerous issues with was our first MH which was a Bailey. It suffered water ingress at floor level 3 times. All fixed under warrenty, fridge had to be replaced on buying it new, as there was a hole in the inside lining. The shower wall cracked and was replaced, various screws had to be replaced as they were not long enough to do their intended purpose. The fitments were flimsy. The beds/seats however were lovely and comfy and still like new 6 years on when we sold it.

One word of caution with foreign vans is that insurance can be quite high due to the likely hood of them being stolen plus repairs tend to cost more. 

replied on 30/06/2023 14:03

Posted on 30/06/2023 14:03

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 30/06/2023 14:47

Posted on 30/06/2023 14:47

What I know of German caravans is-they are very heavy due to the solid construct which is excellent but narrows down your choice of tow cars, potentially expensive Caravan & expensive tow car. They lack many extras but offer them as post van purchases. They look very boxy too. The best one I’ve used is Swift. Swift have their knockers for sure but I never had any issues with mine nor has any of my acquaintances. It isn’t easy to help you J&D as it is a super personal thing as it is basically your 2nd home. Don’t rush it, check out many & research until your eyes ache. The prices are coming down now so you will find folk accommodating on price. Ask many, many questions & take notes. I wish you well๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Hja replied on 30/06/2023 15:46

Posted on 30/06/2023 15:46

We had a variety of caravans, Abbey, Avondale, Dethfleft and at least one other. The worst was the Dethleft. (a German van of course) It had a rear lift up fixed bed and was really difficult to load sensibly. Also problems with the cooker, and towing. Went to Germany on holiday, towing problem (partly the appalling west German motorways) discovered the wheel had buckled, had to get a new one which had to be shipped out from England! We didn’t keep it long. There are good and bad in all makes I believe. Our current pvc is German.

TobyLeeds replied on 03/07/2023 16:01

Posted on 03/07/2023 16:01

You ask about used vans. Our German friend told us that German caravans are built with a 30 year life expectancy He also said avoid a Monday built caravan, as Germans turned up for work on Monday morning the worse for wear!
. Our current Fendt, we have had from new, is 15 yers old and on annual service the damp meter shows less than 8%.we have had odd problems with toilet flush but not insurmountable.

as with any caravan it’s useful to be able to check things yourself - I recently replaced the water heater thinking it was faulty but all it needed was the filters in the tap heads cleaning!

looking round a caravan shop in Spain the owner (a Fendt and Spanish caravan dealership) said He always saw the Spanish caravan a few times after sale but rarely saw the Fendt. 

Best of luck with your hunt for a caravan to suit.

geoffeales replied on 14/07/2023 11:02

Posted on 14/07/2023 11:02

just to break the German trend here, we are on our second Coachman VIP and would recommend one any day. It's a personal opinion of course but I think the build quality is better than most other UK builders. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook