Buying 1st campervan

Michael102 replied on 28/10/2019 17:51

Posted on 28/10/2019 17:51

Hi all, my first time on the forum having just joined the club and about to purchase my first campervan (hopefully). I anticipate travelling approx. 4 hours on a train this Friday to purchase (from Ebay) a Auto-Sleeper Symphony, Peugeot Boxer 2.5L Diesel, 1995, 17,000 miles for £8,500 (private sale) and I am after some tips/advice on what to look out for/be weary of during the inspection/transaction. The camper van has just had a service and is in for an updated MOT this Wednesday (current MOT runs out Jan 2020). I have enquired to AA/RAC inspections and they will only inspect if less than 15 years old and the inspection team attached to the club site will only inspect the habitation area if under 20 years old (damp should not be a problem as not coach built) so Im pretty much on my own with no experience. Any help and or comments greatly appreciated, thanks

SeasideBill replied on 28/10/2019 18:31

Posted on 28/10/2019 18:31

I guess the mechanical condition of the base vehicle is the starting point, and potentially most expensive fix. You can access MOT history online which will give you some indication of any significant issues in the past. At that age you’d expect to see evidence of cambelt/water pump replacement (due to age rather than mileage). Check for clutch judder when reversing, excessive exhaust smoke when under load, particularly up hill, all dashboard warning lights off, pulling to the left/right under hard braking. Brakes could well be in poor condition given the amount of time it’s obviously been sat around idle, particularly rear wheel cylinders which tend to seize with misuse (assuming rear drum brakes). A habitation check is available from most dealers irrespective of vehicle age and will flag any issues requiring urgent attention e.g. gas system - probably money well spent. Water ingress can be a problem in a panel van of that vintage due to degraded seals in roof vents and windows. Finally, replace the tyres asap if the previous owner hasn’t done so in the recent past.

brue replied on 28/10/2019 18:41

Posted on 28/10/2019 18:41

Is it possible to take a mechanically minded person with you? When our daughter bought a similar van locally from ebay her Dad (who has rebuilt cars etc.) went along to check over the van before the purchase went ahead. Even though it was a reasonable van for it's age it had to have work done to the engine and body and then further work as time went on. These things can be become expensive if you don't have any knowledge.

Michael102 replied on 29/10/2019 19:20

Posted on 28/10/2019 18:31 by SeasideBill

I guess the mechanical condition of the base vehicle is the starting point, and potentially most expensive fix. You can access MOT history online which will give you some indication of any significant issues in the past. At that age you’d expect to see evidence of cambelt/water pump replacement (due to age rather than mileage). Check for clutch judder when reversing, excessive exhaust smoke when under load, particularly up hill, all dashboard warning lights off, pulling to the left/right under hard braking. Brakes could well be in poor condition given the amount of time it’s obviously been sat around idle, particularly rear wheel cylinders which tend to seize with misuse (assuming rear drum brakes). A habitation check is available from most dealers irrespective of vehicle age and will flag any issues requiring urgent attention e.g. gas system - probably money well spent. Water ingress can be a problem in a panel van of that vintage due to degraded seals in roof vents and windows. Finally, replace the tyres asap if the previous owner hasn’t done so in the recent past.

Posted on 29/10/2019 19:20

Hi Seaside Bill, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post ref advise. I have looked at the MOT history and doesn't look too bad, it had a new cam belt fitted 2017, has just had a service this month and is in for a MOT tomorrow and it is not a 'coach built' model so damp should not be a problem …. if the tyres are still legal are you suggesting to change them anyway?

Michael102 replied on 29/10/2019 19:23

Posted on 28/10/2019 18:41 by brue

Is it possible to take a mechanically minded person with you? When our daughter bought a similar van locally from ebay her Dad (who has rebuilt cars etc.) went along to check over the van before the purchase went ahead. Even though it was a reasonable van for it's age it had to have work done to the engine and body and then further work as time went on. These things can be become expensive if you don't have any knowledge.

Posted on 29/10/2019 19:23

….. thanks for the reply Brue … I don't have someone to take with me just got some info off the internet, fingers crossed, I suppose its a lottery

Michael102 replied on 29/10/2019 19:24

Posted on 29/10/2019 08:45 by Tinwheeler

Have you checked out the AutoSleeper Owners Forum, Michael? It contains a lot of info and has some very knowledgeable contributors. 

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com

Posted on 29/10/2019 19:24

Thanks for the reply Tinwheeler, I didn't know there was a forum for autosleeper owners so good advice, thanks

SeasideBill replied on 29/10/2019 20:56

Posted on 29/10/2019 19:20 by Michael102

Hi Seaside Bill, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post ref advise. I have looked at the MOT history and doesn't look too bad, it had a new cam belt fitted 2017, has just had a service this month and is in for a MOT tomorrow and it is not a 'coach built' model so damp should not be a problem …. if the tyres are still legal are you suggesting to change them anyway?

Posted on 29/10/2019 20:56

The problem with older, low mileage vehicles is the tyres have plenty of visible tread, but the rubber deteriorates over time rendering them dangerous as they become prone to side wall blowouts. It’s a common problem with caravans, trailers and classic cars, sometimes with tragic results. You can work out the age of a tyre using the code printed on the side wall - plenty of examples via Google. As stated earlier, failing seals around roof lights, windows and doors can be problematic on older vehicles, but relatively easy fix, not a deal breaker.

Michael102 replied on 30/10/2019 10:50

Posted on 30/10/2019 10:50

….. thanks, once again appreciated, I will let you know how I get on

Michael102 replied on 30/10/2019 20:43

Posted on 30/10/2019 20:43

….. thanks, once again appreciated, I will let you know how I get on

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook