Bite's

gatewaya89 replied on 19/06/2017 10:32

Posted on 19/06/2017 10:32

Hi All

Seems as if most things which fly & bite have a taste for my lovely wife question here is? has anyone come up with a reasonable replant which works? or is it a case of eating "Mar mite" on your morning toast? as when your body sweats the flying things can't stand Mar-mite and therefore leave you well alone! (I kid you not!)

Anyone else out there suffering as much as her? would love to read the replies..lol

P.s No we don't and won't use an awning, we do use a sun canopy but have not got or fitted side nets on it?

peegeenine replied on 19/06/2017 10:54

Posted on 19/06/2017 10:54

My wife is the same. Avon "Oh So Soft" (the blue one) works well and apparently it is used by the armed forces. The other thing the wife has been doing is taking vitamin B tablets each day. She gets less bites and they are less aggressive.
A mosquito net suit works but hasn't got much street cred.wink

Pippah45 replied on 19/06/2017 11:16

Posted on 19/06/2017 11:16

Jungle Formula protects me - and they love the taste of me.  You can also get Jungle formula plug  ins - available from Boots usually.  Jungle Formula after bite is good as is Anthisan from the chemist to soothe!   Avon's Skin So Soft (you can get it online) seems to work well too although I haven't yet tested it against Highland midgies! 

brue replied on 19/06/2017 12:11

Posted on 19/06/2017 12:11

Anti-histamine tablets from the chemist can help and the already mentioned anthisan cream. I've got a supply of Avon Skin So Soft "Original" bought on Amazon, not sure it really works but worth trying maybe. Midges are a bit selective with their victims, I built up an immunity when living in Scotland but they're still a **!!@@ nuisance!

Nuggy replied on 19/06/2017 16:25

Posted on 19/06/2017 16:25

If you are experimenting with different ideas, try garlic in your diet, or one garlic capsule a day, Might work.

mickysf replied on 19/06/2017 17:04

Posted on 19/06/2017 17:04

I've eaten marmite every morning of my life pretty much and the blighters still bite me. Tried products containing DEET which appears to work, one called Off seemed the best but only purchased that in Canada.

https://off.com/en

Takethedogalong replied on 19/06/2017 17:24

Posted on 19/06/2017 17:24

I speak as one who spent a number of Summers in and out of hospital with blood poisoning due to insect bites! One bite, and area would swell up, but around joints it was as if someone had tie wrapped me! Excruciatingly painful.

I now get prepared from March onwards, taking one a day Loratideine tablets, that don't make you drowsy, they don't like Vitamin B, so yes, Marmite and yeasty products help. Use insect repellents if necessary, keep away from known mosquito hotspots. Doesn't stop the blighters biting, but it does help keep the infection and pain under control. I also find ice cubes on sore area can help. There are some really good reports for using the Avon So Soft product, in fact I think Inread somewhere that it is so good the Royal Marines use it!

Oneputt replied on 19/06/2017 18:41

Posted on 19/06/2017 18:41

Cant help with prevention but a great product for after bite is Benadryl skin allergy relief.  Takes the itchiness away pretty quickly.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook