Best time to buy

Gates1982 replied on 07/12/2018 14:22

Posted on 07/12/2018 14:22

Hi Everyone.

My husband and I are planning to buy our first touring caravan and are currently looking at models with a plan to but one anytime soon. 

My question is, when is the best time to buy  - as in do dealers tend to have winter seasonal offers? We are ready to buy now once we find one we both like but are we better waiting until spring? 

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks

DavidKlyne replied on 14/12/2018 20:46

Posted on 14/12/2018 20:46

At this time of year the dealers are usually awaiting the new 2019 models if they have not already received them. There are usually some good deals on remaining 2018 stock if you are not too bothered about having the very latest model.

David

richardandros replied on 15/12/2018 04:59

Posted on 15/12/2018 04:59

As David says, it depends on whether the latest design 'fads' are important to you.  We picked up our new Knaus Starclass, yesterday, and as far as I can make out, it's identical to the 2019 model and the same as the 2017 - so it hasn't dated, but we got a massive discount for buying at this time of the year.  That said, I am realistic enough to realise that the reduction will be reflected in the re-sale value should we ever decide to change it.

British manufacturers tend to compete with each other for this year's 'must haves', which are usually nothing more than window dressing and it's further complicated by the fact that the caravan 'year' goes from August to July.

I would suggest that once you find the van that feels right for you and at the right price - go for it!

Bakers2 replied on 15/12/2018 09:30

Posted on 15/12/2018 09:30

Even if you're not buying new you'll probably get a good price at this time of the year when trade is slow. One assumes that some purchasers of new will be trading in. 

Whatever age can you buy check thoroughly, and do so again, for damp, buy your own damp meter. Once you own your van use it quickly to check all is working fine.

Enjoy the choosing and the using.

Richardandros hope you're enjoying your new purchase and are snug.

Waffler replied on 15/12/2018 22:42

Posted on 15/12/2018 22:42

Anytime from now should be good. I know salesmen who sell  at least 3 manufacturers models and they all express concern about the lack of business. Two of them told me that business at the October show had been dire. Shop round but don't forget that warranty work is usually only done by the supplying dealer so don't go too far away. Don't forget that the actual price might not be too negotiable but ask for extras, e.g a mover. Look also for dealer specials. They often have many extras at the same price. If you are totally new don't forget you'll need lots of other kit, aquarolls etc. Best of luck.

richardandros replied on 16/12/2018 05:27

Posted on 16/12/2018 05:27

Thanks Bakers - we're off to Chatsworth on Thursday, for Christmas, and we spent all day yesterday trying to work out where to put all the kit. The storage space, although immense and with a massive 350kg payload, is  in different places as compared to the Barcelona so we're having to re-think our storage options - all good fun!

rovinmad replied on 18/12/2018 08:21

Posted on 18/12/2018 08:21

Do remember that the time of year you buy will generally speaking be the time you need to have it serviced.  We bought at the end of November and there have been times when getting it to the service place has been decidedly tricky with snow and ice. Eventually we settled on a local mobile chap who is registered to keep up the guarantee. Much less stressful.

replied on 18/12/2018 08:33

Posted on 14/12/2018 20:46 by DavidKlyne

At this time of year the dealers are usually awaiting the new 2019 models if they have not already received them. There are usually some good deals on remaining 2018 stock if you are not too bothered about having the very latest model.

David

Posted on 18/12/2018 08:33

In my experience our dealer will have had new models in before the end of November and the current years models remaining are normally discounted by £2k to £3k

brue replied on 18/12/2018 08:35

Posted on 18/12/2018 08:35

We bought our M/H just after Christmas a few years back, no-one had got round to cleaning it as it had just come in and I think the dealers were glad to see a buyer when things were quiet. So we got it for a good price but we also got a van we like. Be wary of long waits for some new vans if you want to get going as soon as possible. If it's your first van consider a previously owned one as you could lose more money on a new van if you decide later it wasn't quite the right one. Good luck.

crown green bowler replied on 18/12/2018 22:28

Posted on 18/12/2018 22:28

Some of the new van's on sale this time of year could have been ex'demo or even used at shows, so be very careful what you are offered at big discounts. We brought a new Knaus Starclass at the start of this year, but it had been built at the end of 2017 and still in the factory in Germany, and they got it delivered here on the back of a transporter and fitted a mover and ready in two weeks. The only change from 2017 to 18 was the curtains and Knaus sent a set of 2018 curtains with it,  and we saved nearly £2000.

crown green bowler replied on 18/12/2018 22:38

Posted on 16/12/2018 05:27 by richardandros

Thanks Bakers - we're off to Chatsworth on Thursday, for Christmas, and we spent all day yesterday trying to work out where to put all the kit. The storage space, although immense and with a massive 350kg payload, is  in different places as compared to the Barcelona so we're having to re-think our storage options - all good fun!

Posted on 18/12/2018 22:38

richardandros.

Hope you have lot's of enjoyment with your new Starclass. We changed from an Elddis Crusader twin to a Starclass 565 this year and are still moving things around and we have had the van 9 months.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook