Bailey Pegasus wheel jack supplied?

Magic Travelers replied on 13/07/2018 19:38

Posted on 13/07/2018 19:38

Please can anyone advise if the Bailey Pegasus GT65 Genoa has a wheel Jack as standard equipment, or if not, what do people use?

We are just in the process of buying a used model privately, 2015 model, and it appears to have no jack and the owners say they cannot remember ever having one?

Many thanks

lornalou1 replied on 13/07/2018 20:24

Posted on 13/07/2018 20:24

doesn't look like it came with jack. been on the bailey of Bristol website and looked at spec and cannot see it mentioned anywhere. just but a short bottle jack and place under axle when required. not the chassis.

EmilysDad replied on 13/07/2018 21:28

Posted on 13/07/2018 21:28

My second hand Coachman had a jack with it when I bought  ...... I had a little go with it & then put it somewhere in my garage  ..... can't now remember where. IMHO its best use would be as a paper weight so would do similar to what lornalou suggested, though I bought a cheap trolly jack from Machine Mart.

Magic Travelers replied on 14/07/2018 06:02

Posted on 14/07/2018 06:02

Thank you both for your input. I have read elsewhere that the use of a Bottle or scissor jack is not advised unless the caravan is hitched to the car, which I suppose it would be. The reason being that the caravan can pivot on the good inflated wheel and fall off the jack. I have a decent compact trolley jack, and note your advice to use the axle rather than the chassis as a jacking point. I would still be interested to know if anyone can advise if the caravan would have been supplied with a jack from new?

Navigateur replied on 14/07/2018 11:46

Posted on 14/07/2018 11:46

The nearest I have seen is some caravan manufacturers promoting as an accessory a "jacking point" for the chassis, but that is actually made by the chassis manufacturer, who also supplies the weird scissor jack.

While Bailey supplied spare wheel as standard on some models, no jacking point and no jack!

Phishing replied on 14/07/2018 20:07

Posted on 14/07/2018 20:07

If it was supplied then it would be an ALKO scissor jack that I would not lift my bike on never mind a caravan. It is a terrible piece of engineering.

As previously suggested get a low profile trolley jack, 1.5 tonne rated and you will be fine. Carry it in the car.

jennyc replied on 14/07/2018 20:33

Posted on 14/07/2018 20:33

I’ve never had, nor known anyone who has, had a jack supplied with their caravan. Vendors like Towsure can supply jacks, along with chassis support brackets for well under £100. Take care not to be seduced by the cheapness of DIY solutions, you need a lot of lift from a full flat, to being able to fit a new wheel, due to suspension movement. Jacking the axle up can be a help, so long as your jack doesn’t slip on it’s round surface. How about using a rescue service, so that it’s their problem. We’ve had just two flats in nearly 40 years.

nelliethehooker replied on 14/07/2018 21:30

Posted on 14/07/2018 21:30

We had a jack supplied with our Bailey Unicorn Madrid, when we bought it new in 2011. Works well for me if I need to turn a wheel to enable me to put on the axle lock. I just block the opposite wheel and wind down the corner steadies nearly to the ground before using the jack.

KjellNN replied on 14/07/2018 21:47

Posted on 14/07/2018 21:47

I would say that most vans do not come with a jack supplied.

Our current twin axle did come with a jack, the AlKo side lift one.  We have it somewhere in the garage, best place for it!

We use a trolley jack.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook