Awning or base tent are there rules & regulations

Breezy67 replied on 25/03/2021 20:04

Posted on 25/03/2021 20:04

Hi all. 

We are considering buying a base camp tent for our motorhome, like the Easy Camp Moonlight Yurt Tent, or the Vango Air Hub Hex. Mainly to store the children's gear, BBQ and bikes for when we are off site.

The question is does the club have any stipulations as to what we are allowed to call an awning when we book a pitch and do we have to make sure that whatever we erect fits into a certain foot print as I could not find any information if their are any awning size restrictions.

Any advice would be appreciated - any MH owners please feel free to comment on what storage solutions you currently use.

All the best

Tinwheeler replied on 25/03/2021 20:12

Posted on 25/03/2021 20:12

To the best of my belief, there is no stipulation regarding awnings which attach to your van. You would need to be on an awning pitch and to maintain the required spacing from your neighbours which is 6m between facing walls of vans and 3m between your and your neighbours' awnings/cars. 

Breezy67 replied on 25/03/2021 20:39

Posted on 25/03/2021 20:39

Hi Tinwheler

Many thanks for the quick reply. Does it have to connect to the van to be allowed on club sites or can it be free standing but close to the van.

As we do not really want a fixed or drive away awning - just something free standing but within our pitch.

Cornersteady replied on 25/03/2021 20:44

Posted on 25/03/2021 20:39 by Breezy67

Hi Tinwheler

Many thanks for the quick reply. Does it have to connect to the van to be allowed on club sites or can it be free standing but close to the van.

As we do not really want a fixed or drive away awning - just something free standing but within our pitch.

Posted on 25/03/2021 20:44

as pup and toilet tents are allowed I would think it can be free standing. I have seen them but check with the club.

Also many MH leave them up when going away for the day.

a. On pitches with awning space you can erect an awning. You may also put up a tent for extra sleeping accommodation, or a specially designed toilet or cooking tent, provided the main outfit is occupied, but please keep them within your pitch area. Please also refer to rule 5c. (3m rule)

Tinwheeler replied on 25/03/2021 20:50

Posted on 25/03/2021 20:39 by Breezy67

Hi Tinwheler

Posted on 25/03/2021 20:50

Looking at the site rules (item 6) it would suggest that it'll be OK but I suggest you contact the club for a definitive answer before splashing the cash.

A couple of wardens post here sometimes so maybe one of them will see your question.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/uk-sites/club-sites/club-site-rules/

Ah, Corners beat me to it๐Ÿ˜€

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook