Awning help

ScreenName3C9A234901 replied on 06/04/2024 13:20

Posted on 06/04/2024 13:20

Hello

we are quite new to caravanning and are interested in trying an awning ideally we'd buy a second-hand one. We don't want a full awning - a porch one or a canopy would be fine. I'm getting a bit confused with sizes though and could use some advice from seasoned caravanners! 

Our van is a Bailey Orion. The spec tells me that the height is 263 cm. Most awnings seem to go to 250. I've seen a good 2nd hand one that is 250cm height. Is there enough give in these things to get away with those 13 cms or would it be a disaster? 

It's a bit confusing looking at the spec as it tells us awning size is 925cm. But some awnings seem to be sized in single digit numbers and I have no idea how this works. E.g. is a 925 awning a full awning that might also be called a size 9 or whatever? 

We would also consider a canopy potentially adding side walls.They look a lot more straightforward. 

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Coco

eribaMotters replied on 06/04/2024 14:01

Posted on 06/04/2024 14:01

Coco, I cannot comment on how the lengths are worked out, but as regards the height. I'd physically check the awning rail height to see if it is 263cm or if it is the height of the van. If it is the awning rail height then a 250cm high awning will not realistically fit. I know it's only just over 10cm, but the fabric will not stretch and when you add in how uneven some pitches are you could find a 20cm gap under your awning.

We no longer use a full size awning and find the "Porch" size perfect. Ours is a low caravan so we use a campervan designed Vango Air. First two photos show it fitted to our previous van. Many options are out there for normal vans.

You have two excellent options as regards a canopy. If It was all you were going to use then a Fiamma Caravanstore would be my choice and can be left permanently in place. If you wanted the option to use a porch awning then something that is less permanent such as the Isabella Shadow would be perfect. With both of these you can add sides for a bit of extra protection.

Colin

ScreenName3C9A234901 replied on 06/04/2024 14:26

Posted on 06/04/2024 14:26

Your advice is much appreciated Colin - thank you! Your little van looks very cute too! I hope we will be able to post some pics soon. I have a feeling the canopy is the way to go. Thanks again

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook