Awning carpet, which way?

G Cherokee replied on 19/01/2017 01:22

Posted on 19/01/2017 01:22

Hi people,

When erecting your awnings, how do you begin?

Roll our the awning carpet then put the awning up on top?

Or inside?

Where does the mud skirt go?

How do you fix it down so it doesn't move around?

Thanks in advance. 

Whittakerr replied on 19/01/2017 07:04

Posted on 19/01/2017 07:04

I roll the carpet out fist and then unroll the awning on the carpet to help keep it clean and stop it getting damaged on any sharp stones that may be there.

As for the mud skirt, mine goes on the inside and I then put the carpet on top of it to stop any draughts. I don’t normally need to peg the mud skirt down as the weight of the carpet holds it in place, but I do carry some ground sheet pegs if it’s particularly windy.

ocsid replied on 19/01/2017 07:22

Posted on 19/01/2017 07:22

Much the same, I put ours down sufficiently unfolded and biased so it is positioned below the end of the awning rail into which the awning is to be fed. I am a separate parts awning erector, roof sides etc, not a one piece man.

All focused on keeping the awning parts clean, protected and not picking up grass cuttings etc.

Then it either gets deployed and moved where needed if indeed we need it or if the grass is pleasant then it is refolded and put back in the car. Alternatively still well folded it gets left by the step to stand on and leave shoes on, when coming and going.

We don't particularly like ground sheets and certainly not the damage they can do if left down too long so tend only to use them on scruffy pitches, not where the grass is pleasant.

Hakinbush replied on 19/01/2017 09:42

Posted on 19/01/2017 09:42

I normaly take the awning down the day before (weather permitting) take the pegs out and hook the bottom of the awning up onto the frame wipe mud wall clean, only gets mucky on grass pitch's where carpet is frowned upon...naughty naughty....

eurortraveller replied on 19/01/2017 12:31

Posted on 19/01/2017 12:31

Try life without an awning, Cherokee, just like motorhomers do, and because awnings cause all the extra work that other people have just described. Sit outside if it's sunny , sit inside if it's cold. Just like motorhomers do. 

G Cherokee replied on 19/01/2017 14:55

Posted on 19/01/2017 14:55

When there is Jules and myself, we dont bother with the awning, especially if the weather is fine, but on wet days it gives somewhere to hang wet coats and dry off out loony cocker spaniel.

My question relates to keeping the damp off the carpet when the heavens open, 

Mud skirts on the outside leading away from the awning.?

Mud skirts inside, under the carpet.?

Mud skirts inside, on top of the carpet?

We dont use a ground sheet, just the woven type carpet.

KjellNN replied on 19/01/2017 16:38

Posted on 19/01/2017 16:38

Which way do your mud flaps usually go, only some awnings can have them either in or out?

If they have to be in, then tuck them under the carpet.

If you can have either then in and under means fewer draughts, out means more ventilation and less condensation.

ocsid replied on 19/01/2017 16:42

Posted on 19/01/2017 16:42

On the point of mud flaps inside or outside I have never had an awning giving a choice; all have it  sown onto the mudwall with the pegs being fixed outside, so mudflap falls "inside" the pegs.

If enough length, [that depends on ground profile] I put the awning's mudflap under any ground covering. If there is not enough I put a slight bellows in it and peg directly under the mudwall. 

G Cherokee replied on 19/01/2017 17:35

Posted on 19/01/2017 17:35

Thats the way I`ve being doing it......... Yay!

But if I want to secure the carpet to stop it sliding about, (which it does). doesn`t that mean I`m pegging thru the mud skirt??

Or is there a sneaky fix I`m unaware of ???

Cheers guys

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook