Advice to Newbies from Newbie

G Cherokee replied on 01/01/2017 20:46

Posted on 01/01/2017 20:46

Hi All,

If your planning to buy your first caravan, please, please think about your requirements, eg:-

What layout will suit you in all circumstances,

What size awning do you really need?

How will I spend my days away? and how will that affect what van I choose?

I`m only saying this because of the monumental mistake we have made.

In August 2016, Julie and I bought our first caravan, A 2004 Swift Conqueror 580 SAL twin axle.

The caravan is in beautiful condition, and we thought the L shaped lounge, side dinette and huge rear washroom would be the exact van we required. Along with the van we purchased a brand new full size awning. So we were all set up, and ready to go.

Since August we have managed to get away for 23 nights (5 days in Devon)

However, It is apparent that our outfit does not suit us at all, the awning is immense, and takes an age to erect, and when the nights drop chilly, you cant get enough heat in it, we despise making the  double bed up now, (its was fun to begin with!).

So we are starting again, cutting our losses and going for a single axle, island bed, centre washroom. We have already swapped the full size awning for a new air awning.

In hindsight we would have done things differently. It hasn`t put us off at all , in fact has made us more determined to get it right!

Good luck, All the best and happy new year to you all.

Regards

Dave & Julie

Tinwheeler replied on 01/01/2017 21:34

Posted on 01/01/2017 21:34

Wise words, GC. I dare say most of us have made mistakes along the way. It's called experience but it's difficult to share that experience because we all have different likes and needs.

You've proved the worth of starting off with a second hand van rather than splashing out mega bucks on a brand new one which could also have proved not to be right for you.

Happy vanning.

Nuggy replied on 01/01/2017 22:34

Posted on 01/01/2017 22:34

D&J. Don't spend a lot of money on your replacement van, because after a couple of seasons you might wish to refine your choice again.

G Cherokee replied on 01/01/2017 23:46

Posted on 01/01/2017 22:34 by Nuggy

D&J. Don't spend a lot of money on your replacement van, because after a couple of seasons you might wish to refine your choice again.

Posted on 01/01/2017 23:46

Hi Nuggy,

The times we have gone away we experienced all the situation's we will come against, apart from flash floods, heavy snowfalls, typhoons or nuclear attack!!

Jules and I have written lists of pros and cons, looked at all types of van layouts, we are determined not to make this mistake again.

But you are right of course, there is always something that'll crop up!

But we'd rather sort it now than wait for 2 or 3 years with a van that we're not happy with.

young thomas replied on 02/01/2017 15:20

Posted on 02/01/2017 15:20

one of the first things that causes a vanner to 'change tack'is the bed thing.....

those that have a make-up bed tend to hanker after a permanent bed, especially if their breaks are for longer than a few days....the longer the stay, the more the longing....

OTOH, those that have a fixed bed, sometimes bemoan the space these take up in a van, and might look towards larger lounges, but with make-up beds.

no right or wrong way, its just we dont often get what we really want right with our first attempt.....

good luck.

Wildwood replied on 02/01/2017 15:44

Posted on 02/01/2017 15:44

We did have a head start when we bought our first caravan as both our parents already had them. To me the best advice is find someone who has one already and discuss the pros and cons of the various options available although try to spot any prejudices they might have. You will find most of us will be only too happy happy to help newcomers and even go to dealers to look round the stock and help there.

crusader replied on 02/01/2017 18:17

Posted on 02/01/2017 18:17

The problem is most of which you have found out 1 the bed, aviod french beds 2 the awning we are on our third T/A because we like the space, but we have a Bradcot Portico xl porch awning it's a lot easier to put up it gives you more space than a normal porch 3 For us a fixed bed is a must, make it before you travel then it's one less job when you arrive especially if you arrive late at night. after making similar mistakes on our first T/A some 15 years ago when we went for the next one we made a must have and did'nt vary from it.

So good luck with the next one and don't forget the yearly service

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook