A beginners question

TheSearles replied on 08/07/2017 12:31

Posted on 08/07/2017 12:31

Hello everybody.  We are new to motor homing, been away for a few nights twice now and have enjoyed it.

My question for all you experienced people is about awnings.  I know we should never use it when it's windy, nor leave it up when not there or asleep, in case wind picks up.  What we wondered is whether it is OK to use it in the rain, and if it is whether it is acceptable to put it away when wet, as long as we dry it out when we can?

Many thanks.

caravanerkarl replied on 09/07/2017 12:28

Posted on 09/07/2017 12:28

Well from a caravan point of view (as I don't have a HM) we use ours regardless of the weather, we went to weymouth a couple of weeks ago and although it was breezy when I put it up, it stayed up when the wind really picked up without any storm straps. I am not sure I would have tried to put it up in the high wind though. I do put mine away when it's wet but do open it up when home to dry it out, so that's OK.

The leaving it up bit I can't answer as we dont have a MH, but you can get awnings that state are drive away, so guess you can leave them up when you go off site for a while.

young thomas replied on 09/07/2017 15:02

Posted on 09/07/2017 15:02

a wind put canopy can be very sensitive to gusts of wind.

we have storm straps (with substantial moorings) which we put on if we think the awning will be in use in poorer or windier weather.

however, as it only takes about 1 minute to get the winder out and park it securely, not much point in leaving it out overnight and fretting about it.

ABM replied on 09/07/2017 15:15

Posted on 09/07/2017 15:15

Bolero Boys  First  point  is  well  made  !!

Are  we  talking  about  Wind-out  awnings  or  the  Full  3 - Course  jobbies  which  are  really  no  ( or  very  little )  different  from  Frame  Tents,  and  can  be  treated  just  the  same.

The  wind-outs  can  be  Storm  Strapped,  something  I  always  do,  and  I  also  have  one  leg  a  little  lower**  so  that  should  it  rain,  it  won't  make  the  top  "Belly"  due  to  a  puddle  forming,  but  the  water  will  drop  off  on  the  low  corner { not  some where  to  park  your  wellies  of  course surprised ! }

**  Thats  the  awning  of  course  not  yours  truly  embarassed  !

TheSearles replied on 09/07/2017 16:04

Posted on 09/07/2017 16:04

All great advice thanks.  Yes its a wind out and we can peg it down, but storm straps migh be a good idea too. I take it ABM, you leave it out in the rain then, the low corner is a good shout.

Spriddler replied on 10/07/2017 13:49

Posted on 10/07/2017 13:49

I use my awning (wind out 'sunblind' type) for shade, but more especially in the rain as it provides a dry entry point to the camper in wet weather and somewhere to leave table, chairs, boots, hang up wet coats, washing etc. and sit outside for breakfast or with a brew or a sundowner or use a BBQ. Invaluable.

I do wind it in when wet but there's usually a dry spell within a day or two to dry it off. It does have a slightly grubby appearance though from when that wasn't possible. I might clean it one day.

Hedgehurst replied on 10/07/2017 19:16

Posted on 10/07/2017 19:16

If it does get a belly of rain in it, be careful which way you're moving when you reach up and shove it to reduce the weight of water! Some medieval style tents have just the same canopy idea, sans roller.

At an event I was working on a torrential day, a woman came out from the neighbouring tent during a break in the rain, reached up to push the water off, slipped in the mud, and arrived flat on her back exactly as a gallon or two of icy water landed on her midriff.
Superbly entertaining swearing followed.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook