Yet another Newbie

stevech51 replied on 14/09/2018 09:28

Posted on 14/09/2018 09:28

Hello there.

We are total newbie's to this hobby and more than ready to embrace it in our retirement. So is it Motorhome or Caravan? We are going to hire a motorhome to give that a try first and during the period of hire go to Motorhome and Caravan show at the NEC.  Done a lot of reading and online searching. I am sure this has been asked many times before; what are the pros and cons and what are the pitfalls to look out for.

We are eager to learn from the experience's of those who have gone before us.

Steve & Julie

lornalou1 replied on 14/09/2018 11:23

Posted on 14/09/2018 11:23

With a caravan you can still us car to get out and about, where as a motorhome you leave the pitch so basically have to pack away again as if you were going home or a mess will follow, unless you tow another small vehicle behind you. plus there usually is more room in a caravan. there is also the fact is your car big enough to tow a caravan. all down to personal preference.

HelenandTrevor replied on 14/09/2018 17:11

Posted on 14/09/2018 17:11

Hi Steve and Julie, welcome to CT, Agree it's a good idea to hire a motorhome to see how you like it. Have fun looking at all the options at the NEC show.smile

Tinwheeler replied on 14/09/2018 17:22

Posted on 14/09/2018 17:22

Ah, but with a caravan you have lots of things to pack up - aquaroll, wastemaster, EHU cable, corner steadies to wind and the van to hitch to the car. With a MH you put the kettle away and pick up the EHU cable, set off and enjoy your day heading for the next site to spend the following night with no need to return to 'base'. 

In a caravan you have to fetch and carry your fresh and grey water while, in a MH, you can stop at the dedicated MH service point when entering/leaving the site and 'do' your tanks.

Many of us have done both so are able to see the pros and cons but, ultimately, it’s what suits the individual at that time in their lives.

My advice to all would by MH-ers is to buy a MH as small as you think you can be comfortable in as it will give you greater flexibility in travelling out and about with far less need for secondary of public transport. In my opinion, bigger is not better when it comes to MHs.

Much will depend on your driving licence entitlement if you decide on a MH but, whichever way you jump, enjoy the adventure.

Robidoo replied on 14/09/2018 20:23

Posted on 14/09/2018 20:23

Hi stevech51

I’vedone both for many years started with tents ,then a caravan for 9 years then got hooked by a Classic VW bay window for the last 12 yrs. with my camper its basically like going back to a tent as ours is tiny. And we use it more at the beach ........But for the past 6 years I have craved to go back to a caravan .

simply the comfort and ease of a caravan ....but you still have the car to use easy. Next year I am looking to buy a buccaneer barracuda .if i’m Allowed laugh out loud!. But jasper our orange bay will always stay with us . 

our caravan was ready to go on the drive ,all we needed was some clothes and fresh food and away.

I think the biggest questions to decide on what’s better are

1. Are you going to tour ,with a new site each night or 2. =motorhome

2. Do you like a base to explore that is generally more spacious =caravan

3. Do you fancy using bikes to get around to explore locally (and remember buy some electric bike for ease) = motorhome

4. Will you need space for extended family or friends . =Caravan 

5. Ease of use ,depending on what you call “ease”= caravan or motorhome 

so good luck and whatever you buy take your time to enjoy every bit of it . 

Hedgehurst replied on 16/09/2018 20:56

Posted on 16/09/2018 20:56

Robidoo's reply says it well! We haven't tried a camper, but came to caravanning from tenting, and love it. Towing's a new game which quickly became comfortable, and the ability to park the van then take the car is valuable to us.
Going to the NEC show was truly valuable - we went thinking to research campervans, went into lots, and also into lots of caravans, and found many features we didn't like, and would therefore avoid; then went off and bought a nice little second hand caravan, and are now are fully hooked!

The advantage of not having to pay for another motor being serviced, and maintained, taxed, insured, etc, figures in our calculations too.

We'd planned to hire a campervan, but realised that to hire a decent one with a loo would soon add up, and by the time we'd had it for a few weeks would cost most of what we eventually spent on the 'van.

We do like that our caravan has a lot more windows than many campervans, so when we're somewhere with a good view, we can see it.

Whichever way you go, happy hunting smile

stevech51 replied on 05/12/2018 23:03

Posted on 05/12/2018 23:03

Well I thought I better provide an update and thank all those who took the time to offer your advice. We did hire a Motorhome and took the opportunity to visit the NEC show. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience however we decided there and then that a motorhome was not for us. We wanted a little more room, a vehicle to move around with without having to pack up. Finally the cost of a motorhome versus a caravan. We have just enjoyed our first weekend away in our 2018 Challenger 645, not without some serious learning curves and looking forward to many more trips meeting new friends.

Steve

mickysf replied on 06/12/2018 20:27

Posted on 05/12/2018 23:03 by stevech51

Well I thought I better provide an update and thank all those who took the time to offer your advice. We did hire a Motorhome and took the opportunity to visit the NEC show. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience however we decided there and then that a motorhome was not for us. We wanted a little more room, a vehicle to move around with without having to pack up. Finally the cost of a motorhome versus a caravan. We have just enjoyed our first weekend away in our 2018 Challenger 645, not without some serious learning curves and looking forward to many more trips meeting new friends.

Steve

Posted on 06/12/2018 20:27

Now go and enjoy! We have found that as circumstances in life change the unit you enjoy changes. We have moved through tents, trailer tents, caravans, camper vans and motorhomes. We have just downsized to a small motorhome. Who knows, a caravan next? Would love to back pack high in the mountains  with that  Vango force 10  once more but me old bones won't allow! 

Just make the most for the moment!smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook