Towing with a van

Bigplumbs replied on 23/04/2022 08:22

Posted on 23/04/2022 08:22

Hello I have a Swift Single axel max weight 1600kg Caravan and also boats that I tow. My boats are all under 2000kg all up.

I have been towing with a Landrover and the faults the landy keep giving me are becoming too much to bear. My Landy is a love hate relationship.

I am thinking of buying a Ford transit custom van as my tow vehicle. Do others on here tow with a similar van and if so what do you think

eribaMotters replied on 23/04/2022 09:05

Posted on 23/04/2022 09:05

A quick search comes up with this:-

"Ford Transit Custom Panel Van. Kerb Weight: 1556–2761 kg. Payload: 759–2724 kg. GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight): 2,900-3500 kg"

I'd imagine you would be carrying as much stuff as possible in the van to get the weight up to a suitable level.

My guess is once done would it have enough power, bhp and torque to make for a comfortable tow? 

Hopefully somebody out there does have direct experience as it looks like a close call.

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook