Satellite systems

Eamonn Slowey replied on 24/07/2019 21:23

Posted on 24/07/2019 21:23

Good evening. I’m thinking of buying a satellite system for my motorhome. I’ve been looking at the Maxview Remora 40. I wondered if anyone has one and can recommend it or not!

Alternatively can I have any suggestions?

Regards,

Eamonn

mickysf replied on 24/07/2019 21:37

Posted on 24/07/2019 21:37

Never seen one but it looks interesting.  Obviously you will need to use a south facing side wall. We use a tripod system which can be moved anywhere around the pitch or even further.This works very well, much better than a roof mounted one in my opinion which can limit the choice of pitches somewhat. 

Tammygirl replied on 24/07/2019 23:00

Posted on 24/07/2019 23:00

We also have a tripod dish and agree that it can be better as you can move it around the pitch to get a better signal.

We did however have a roof mounted Oyster 3 on our motorhome, couldn't fault it very good dish and system, it was an 85cm one and received uk tv channels all over France right down to the Med. 

peedee replied on 25/07/2019 07:04

Posted on 25/07/2019 07:04

I cannot see the advantage of the Remora over a tripod system. The only reason I moved from a tripod system to a fixed roof system was to avoid storage of all the bits and pieces. You still have to store the Remoral when on the move and it is only a 40 cm dish which is really quite small for good reception even in all parts of the UK and definitely would not give you a good signal very far south on the Continent.

My view is if you are not going to go for a fixed system get a tripod and a dish of at least 60cm preferably 85 cms if you want good coverage on the Continent.

peedee

young thomas replied on 25/07/2019 08:16

Posted on 25/07/2019 08:16

good advice from Peedee and TG...if going 'away' 40 cm will be a waste of time and 85 cm will cover France.

the other question would be....do you have a sky box/subscription?

this is relevant if you take it with you and want to pick up sports/movies while away...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook