Rear view cameras

5th Wheeler replied on 06/08/2017 18:32

Posted on 06/08/2017 18:32

Has anybody got any advice on buying a rear view camera? Are they useful or not. I feel that it would help keep an eye on tailgaters!

indoors replied on 06/08/2017 20:36

Posted on 06/08/2017 20:36

Do you really need one ?

What would you do if you saw " tailgaters " ?

Speed up, slow down, jam your brakes on !

If I ever thought I needed to see the rear of my caravan whilst towing I'd pack up. I've towed 7'6" wide caravans since 2001, my present one is 8' with towing mirrors fitted I can safely tow this anywhere, when I wish to reverse the rig I use a Banksman.

Someone may allow us to know if it may be illegal to fit one to use whilst towing. My money would be on it being illegal.

replied on 06/08/2017 20:38

Posted on 06/08/2017 20:38

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 06/08/2017 21:19

Posted on 06/08/2017 20:36 by indoors

Do you really need one ?

What would you do if you saw " tailgaters " ?

Speed up, slow down, jam your brakes on !

If I ever thought I needed to see the rear of my caravan whilst towing I'd pack up. I've towed 7'6" wide caravans since 2001, my present one is 8' with towing mirrors fitted I can safely tow this anywhere, when I wish to reverse the rig I use a Banksman.

Someone may allow us to know if it may be illegal to fit one to use whilst towing. My money would be on it being illegal.

Posted on 06/08/2017 21:19

Why would you think it'll be illegal? 

indoors replied on 07/08/2017 14:38

Posted on 07/08/2017 14:38

OMG ! I did not offer my opinion to be contentious, it's my opinion.

Please do not quote me with " Pack up if you need a camera " .

I quoted " If I ever thought I needed to see the rear of my caravan whilst towing I'D pack up ".Let's not get into the " I've towed more miles than you ", you'll more than likely lose.

" Why would you think it'll be illegal? "

I'd suggest because they are sold to be used whilst reversing.

Find me one that's advertised to be used whilst traveling forward.

replied on 07/08/2017 15:08

Posted on 07/08/2017 14:38 by indoors

OMG ! I did not offer my opinion to be contentious, it's my opinion.

Please do not quote me with " Pack up if you need a camera " .

I quoted " If I ever thought I needed to see the rear of my caravan whilst towing I'D pack up ".Let's not get into the " I've towed more miles than you ", you'll more than likely lose.

" Why would you think it'll be illegal? "

I'd suggest because they are sold to be used whilst reversing.

Find me one that's advertised to be used whilst traveling forward.

Posted on 07/08/2017 15:08

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Simon100 replied on 08/08/2017 20:30

Posted on 08/08/2017 20:30

How can they be illegal when towing? All they are showing is the view that you would get from a convential rear view mirror if there was no van in the way. What is illegal is watching TV/video etc, which a rear view mirror is not.

I also use one all the time and find it great for giving me piece of mind about my positioning when overtaking and what is going on immediately behind me, something that extension mirrors can't show.

A useful web site

https://www.parkingcameras.com/store/home.php

Text from this site:

Camera Kits are becoming more popular and can make towing with a caravan a lot more stress free. One of the main bonuses is being able to tell when it is safe to pull in when overtaking. They are also useful for being able to see when someone is tucked away behind your caravan and help when reversing into pitches etc. We have two main types of kits for caravans. Those are either Digital Wireless Interference Free kits or cabled kits that use a removable coil between car and caravan..com

I think that might be an advert for a system that you use when moving forward!

richardandros replied on 09/08/2017 05:34

Posted on 09/08/2017 05:34

The legality of rear view cameras has been discussed on here, many times before.  The relevant legislation is s.109 of the Construction and Use Regulations 1986 which states:

109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information

(a)about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b)about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c)to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d)to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

Thus - it is quite clear that it is legal to use a rear-view camera at any time - and not just for reversing.

Whittakerr replied on 09/08/2017 10:11

Posted on 09/08/2017 10:11

Now that the legality seems to be sorted, I am also interested in fitting a reversing / rear-view camera, mainly for reversing as now I am mostly on my own therefore no one to look out at the rear for me, I think it would be useful especially when reversing on to a pitch.

I have been looking at digital wireless systems and like the idea of a number plate mounted camera, mainly for the ease of wiring. Has anybody got one of this type of system / camera and can recommend or not.

Thanks for any replies.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook