Prices

darney replied on 09/04/2022 22:05

Posted on 09/04/2022 22:05

I have just cancelled my two week stay at Looe caravan site after checking the updated prices I have since booked the same two weeks at nearby privately owned sites which are both of equal standards if not better and saved £200 how is that possible.

Cornersteady replied on 09/04/2022 22:19

Posted on 09/04/2022 22:19

Well the updated prices would have added an extra £35 maximum to your two week stay but you're making it sound as if £200 was the extra in updated fees?

The prices at the other site would still have saved you a considerable amount even before prices went up.

Why the difference, or why is it possible, well it just is for a number of reasons in my view not worth worrying about as at the end of the day you have to choose which site gives you the best deal for the quality you want.

If the other site does that and is as good as you say then it's a no brainer to choose the other site.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/04/2022 23:33

Posted on 09/04/2022 22:05 by darney

I have just cancelled my two week stay at Looe caravan site after checking the updated prices I have since booked the same two weeks at nearby privately owned sites which are both of equal standards if not better and saved £200 how is that possible.

Posted on 09/04/2022 23:33

Unless you tell us what site you have changed to how can we compare? I have booked 5 commercial sites this year and all of them have been a very similar price to what I would have paid on Club sites, if not slightly more. The reason I have chosen non Club sites is simply to do with location.

David

peedee replied on 10/04/2022 07:58

Posted on 10/04/2022 07:58

I have four C&MC sites booked as part of a 30 day tour, these only account for a third of my overnight stays on the trip The prices of the Club sites have increased by an average of £1.70p.n. since I booked .  All my other locations are very much cheaper but I will be keeping at least three of the Club sites just because of the locations. I'm undecided on the fourth, location is not a factor but if I ditch it, it will be because I decide to change my route.

One thing  I do agree with about prices is that there is a widening gap in costs between Club sites and the good commercial sites I use, with the Club being at a disadvantage particularly off peak. That is even more so if you apportion the Club subscription across the number of nights you stay on Club pitches. A saving of £200 is a lot though, the best direct comparison I could come up with is about  a £90 saving for a two week stay!

Not all commercial sites offer a saving but it is best to shop around these days and not just stick with Club sites.

peedee

moulesy replied on 10/04/2022 14:03

Posted on 10/04/2022 14:03

You don't make it clear when you are going, nor which those "nearby privately owned sites" are, darney, but if you really have found sites £14 per night cheaper than Looe CAMC site good luck to you. And in the interests of fellow members who might be interested, care to name them? wink

Randomcamper replied on 10/04/2022 16:55

Posted on 10/04/2022 16:55

I'm still waiting to stay on a club site and find it not either completely full or very nearly so.

But it will be good to do so. Imagine, having such a wide choice of pitch....wink

In the meantime, in the real world, away from CT, the prices have had no consequence on people visiting club sites........

KjellNN replied on 10/04/2022 17:27

Posted on 10/04/2022 17:27

We have not so far, and are unlikely to, book any Club sites this year, and for us it is totally down to what the prices now are.  There is almost always an alternative.

Right now we are on a serviced pitch, on a CL with good toilet and shower facilities, about 4 miles from the nearest Club site, and saving £13 per night.

Next stop is a CCC site at £21 per night, no Club site in the area, then a small commercial at £25 per night, again no Club site nearby.

After that we had to choose between the club site east of Inverness at £33 or the CCC site west of Inverness at Dingwall, which is £10 per night less.

And  our final site, another commercial that used to be an AS, down the A9 at Newtonmore is £8 per night less than the  Club  site at Inverness.

Cornersteady replied on 10/04/2022 17:28

Posted on 10/04/2022 16:55 by Randomcamper

I'm still waiting to stay on a club site and find it not either completely full or very nearly so.

But it will be good to do so. Imagine, having such a wide choice of pitch....wink

In the meantime, in the real world, away from CT, the prices have had no consequence on people visiting club sites........

Posted on 10/04/2022 17:28

Full +1, as you say, and as I've many times before, what is posted on here bears no resemblance to what actually happens in real life. Certainly in peak and spring onwards it is as you say.

A few weeks ago, the second weekend of the season I think, I did a count and there were more outfits on service pitches - 39 out of 44 or 88%, than on standard pitches - 35 out of 144 or 24%. It would appear that people were happy to pay the extra £4.90 a night for a SP. I wonder what the club will make of that?

Also I've noticed the site is full on both for the Easter and May BH weekends. If people are cancelling they have left it late for this Friday, or maybe they have and others have picked up the pitches? Either way it's looks as if people are prepared to pay the prices set. 

PS The site was all HS so the use of SP can't be blamed on that. There is also a site a few miles away that is £8 more expensive per night, that's full too over those weekends. It's no different to the club site and yes I've stayed on it and had a look round recently. 

As I posted elsewhere club prices are still middle of the road, yes there are cheaper and yes there are more expensive, everyone has a choice.     

moulesy replied on 10/04/2022 17:37

Posted on 10/04/2022 17:37

"Right now we are on a serviced pitch, on a CL with good toilet and shower facilities, about 4 miles from the nearest Club site, and saving £13 per night."

CLs are great, Kj, and, in our latter years of vanning, always our first choice where available. But I don't really think it fair to compare them price wise with club (or commercial) sites. They are what they are, a good alternative but with nothing like the running costs of bigger sites. And, in fairness, C&CC sites are only significantly different in price for those, like us and you, who can benefit from the age related discount  (on a like for like pitch.)

Goldie146 replied on 10/04/2022 18:13

Posted on 10/04/2022 18:13

If you are fortunate to get away in your caravan/motorhome many times a year, I can see that price increases will have an impact on your hobby/holiday.

For those of us who get one week a year (and maybe two weekends) away, it has a lesser impact. So we won’t be looking for a cheaper alternative. It’s a precious break away from home, and we want to be sure of the site.

We are one of those boring couples, who go to the same site every year. And mostly just relax on site.

For the past two years we’ve had one weekend on the cheapest site ever. No white peg, no EHU, no neighbours. Just our cows.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook