Oil like substance on the outside of my van

Clive Burgess replied on 01/07/2024 13:46

Posted on 01/07/2024 13:46

Good afternoon.  I have just completed a long journey through France and we were hit by extremely heavy rain.   On arrival on site my van is covered at the front in an oil like substance which has doubtless been picked up off the road.   It is all across the front of the van except where I had the protector screen on.   Does any one have an idea as to what it could actually be and how to remove.  I have tried soapy water and cleaner which is all I have access to for now but this has had no effect.  Thank you in advance.  

eribaMotters replied on 01/07/2024 18:57

Posted on 01/07/2024 18:57

It is probably tar, or could even be the crud thrown out by your exhaust. White spirit should remove it. After which clean with soapy water and apply some car polish. 

Colin

Wherenext replied on 01/07/2024 20:02

Posted on 01/07/2024 20:02

If it is tar then Auto Glym have a specific tar remover. Just rub it gently on the area and wipe off. Leaves no trace. We always carry some with us.

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 03/07/2024 19:01

Posted on 03/07/2024 19:01

A number of years ago I had a similar experience on the M1.  A lorry overtook us and I think it had a leaking fuel tank - the car and the caravan was covered in these oily marks - I got it off with paper towel and some neat Fairy Liquid.  Good Luck

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook