Are commercial vehicles allowed on site?

Darcy1982 replied on 27/08/2021 15:44

Posted on 27/08/2021 15:44

Hi All

New to the club, just been converted from tenting to buying our first caravan. 

Looking to book a short weekend break locally to test out the caravan etc. But noticed a lot of sites state they don’t accept commercial vehicles or sign written vehicles. 

I own and run a small business with a sign written 2011 crew cab Vauxhall Vivaro advertising my business. This is the vehicle that I intend to tow my caravan as our other car is too small to tow. 

For the past 4 years we have visited sites with the van (without sign writting) with our tent and never had any issues or even noticed this rule. During this season we have travelled with the van but now fully sign written visited 5 sites without issue but last one wasn’t happy and insisted I park vehicle in the car park. The warden explained they don’t allow commercial vehicles on site but didn’t give any reason and I didn’t really ask as it wasn’t a major problem for me.

Now I’m aware of this I have noticed a lot of sites have this rule. 

My question is have I fallen at the first hurdle in terms of being able to tow my caravan with my van?

We have only just bought our smaller car so not really looking nor can afford to buy anything bigger to tow with.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance/suggestions.

Neil    

JVB66 replied on 27/08/2021 15:50

Posted on 27/08/2021 15:50

You should not have a problem on caravan club sites with a sign written ,tow vehiclecool now a sign written caravan?frown

Cannot speak for those sites that are affiliated sites as they are privately owned

Tinwheeler replied on 27/08/2021 15:53

Posted on 27/08/2021 15:53

Welcome, Darcy.

Commercial vehicles, including those that are sign written, are allowed as towing vehicles on club owned/operated sites. The rule was changed some years ago. (Note that affiliated sites and CLs make their own T&Cs.) 

There may be occasions, though, when space limitations may result in you being asked to park in the car park.

Bakers2 replied on 27/08/2021 15:58

Posted on 27/08/2021 15:58

Hello and welcome. I just asked on live chat, got a standard answer - before it went to a chat quoted below.

The Club’s ethos is to provide facilities for touring customers to give them a base to explore their surroundings, but it is incredibly difficult to draw a sensible line between who is a leisure customer and who is a worker, as these lines often blur. 

It was therefore decided by the Club’s committee some time ago that we should allow people who are working to also enjoy our sites, and this decision is reinforced by the Club’s recent redevelopment of its values and the aim to be more inclusive in what we offer.  Therefore, there are no restrictions regarding commercial vans with or without sign writing or ladders. Guests may sometimes be asked to park their vehicles in the visitor's car park, so as not to cause any disruption. 

Not sure about causing  distruption ??.

Hope it helps.

Darcy1982 replied on 27/08/2021 16:14

Posted on 27/08/2021 16:14

Thank you for quick responses and welcome.

All very reassuring to hear that club sites are accommodating.

I guess it’s just going to be case of checking affiliated and other sites rules as we book and contacting them to clarify if alternative parking is available once the caravan is unhooked on pitch. It makes little difference to me having to do this being able to book the site was my main concern. 

Tinwheeler replied on 27/08/2021 16:22

Posted on 27/08/2021 16:14 by Darcy1982

Thank you for quick responses and welcome.

All very reassuring to hear that club sites are accommodating.

I guess it’s just going to be case of checking affiliated and other sites rules as we book and contacting them to clarify if alternative parking is available once the caravan is unhooked on pitch. It makes little difference to me having to do this being able to book the site was my main concern. 

Posted on 27/08/2021 16:22

Spot on. If in doubt, ask.

Enjoy your caravan.👍🏻

Vulcan replied on 02/09/2022 16:39

Posted on 27/08/2021 15:58 by Bakers2

Hello and welcome. I just asked on live chat, got a standard answer - before it went to a chat quoted below.

The Club’s ethos is to provide facilities for touring customers to give them a base to explore their surroundings, but it is incredibly difficult to draw a sensible line between who is a leisure customer and who is a worker, as these lines often blur. 

It was therefore decided by the Club’s committee some time ago that we should allow people who are working to also enjoy our sites, and this decision is reinforced by the Club’s recent redevelopment of its values and the aim to be more inclusive in what we offer.  Therefore, there are no restrictions regarding commercial vans with or without sign writing or ladders. Guests may sometimes be asked to park their vehicles in the visitor's car park, so as not to cause any disruption. 

Not sure about causing  distruption ??.

Hope it helps.

Posted on 02/09/2022 16:39

How does that comply with Code of Behaviour rule10.3.

10.3 The use of Club Sites and Certificated Locations and the participation in rallying activities organised by the Club shall be solely for the purpose of recreation and not for any purpose connected with any trade, business or profession, nor as part of or substitute for any domestic purpose, unless prior authorisation is obtained from the Club.

JVB66 replied on 02/09/2022 16:56

Posted on 02/09/2022 16:39 by Vulcan

10.3 The use of Club Sites and Certificated Locations and the participation in rallying activities organised by the Club shall be solely for the purpose of recreation and not for any purpose connected with any trade, business or profession, nor as part of or substitute for any domestic purpose, unless prior authorisation is obtained from the Club.

Posted on 02/09/2022 16:56

I would take that as site users are not to carry out on site sales etc 

Cornersteady replied on 02/09/2022 17:00

Posted on 02/09/2022 16:39 by Vulcan

Posted on 02/09/2022 17:00

This has been discussed before, what I recall is that actually using the site for work is not allowed but going to work from a site and leaving the family behind for example is. It's for your recreation while you're there in the evening sort of thing? I go off to work in a suit then is it work or a wedding? If I go off in a boiler suit is it work?

Personally I don't care what people do off site I care more about how they behave on site.

Now of course it's difficult for the club to know if you're sitting inside your outfit on a computer if you're doing 'work' or just browsing CT so that passes I would imagine, but if it's obviously looks like work, like people are bringing  something to the site for you to repair for example, or you've got power tools going on inside or outside your outfit then that would against the rules.

Very woolley I admit.

Graydjames replied on 02/09/2022 18:37

Posted on 02/09/2022 18:37

Corners said:

"Now of course it's difficult for the club to know if you're sitting inside your outfit on a computer if you're doing 'work' or just browsing CT so that passes I would imagine"

I sincerely hope that it passes for better reasons than simply the fact that no one can tell whether you are using your computer for work or for recreation. 

I often work in my van. I am a Chartered Accountant (not for much longer thank goodness) and if I want to go away for any significant period of time in my van, I have no option but to work for some of the time - often for whole days. I think I've mentioned that once or twice on other threads in this place, for example about internet connections. No one ever questioned it as far as I know. It absolutely never once occurred to me that there might be any question of that not being allowed. It would seem to me utterly bizarre that I could not sit in my motorhome and do work. Surely that is not what this rule suggests. 

I wonder if anyone at the club thinks that such an activity does contravene Code of Behaviour rule 10.3. 

Tinwheeler replied on 02/09/2022 19:03

Posted on 02/09/2022 19:03

I can’t see a problem with that, GDJ. It might be different if you had a string of clients visiting you or if you were a cabinet maker sawing wood on your pitch.

And before somebody moans about your use of electricity, while you’re running that impressive looking set up, you’re not watching TV or sitting in an awning with a heater on. Even if you were, you are entitled to use the EHU to suit your needs.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook