Newbie to caravaning

Madpink replied on 04/02/2018 16:51

Posted on 04/02/2018 16:51

Hi I just want to introduce myself.

i have been a camping for 6 years and now gone and brought a caravan, we picked limpet up on Saturday and love her already can't wait for our first weekend away which is in 2 weeks.

so if you have any hits and tips they would be much appreciated.

suz😜

bandgirl replied on 16/02/2018 16:40

Posted on 16/02/2018 16:40

Hi, not sure why you haven't had any replies, but welcome. I'm guessing you're just about to embark on your first outing, so enjoy.  You might have a few challenges trying to figure out how stuff works, but other members and wardens are always ready to give advice, and show you what to do, so don't hesitate to ask.  We were all novices once laughing

Hedgehurst replied on 16/02/2018 18:37

Posted on 16/02/2018 18:37

Have fun :-)

From our long experience... being newbies last year!... I'd recommend allowing yourself to plan shorter journeys than you would without the van on the back, partly because it's tiring towing when you're still not used to it, and partly 'cos you need longer to set up and take down at first, though as a new convert after years and years of camping we do enjoy not having to fold up wet canvas when packing up!

If you  are new to towing I'd also recommend finding a quiet Sunday morning industrial estate with an empty car park, and practise reversing into a space. We took some empty plastic containers as harmless bollards, and it was really useful.

DSB replied on 17/02/2018 11:09

Posted on 17/02/2018 11:09

Only just spotted this so welcome Madpink.  Congratulations on your new caravan - do let us know how you get on with it all.

David

Bellsboy replied on 17/02/2018 14:40

Posted on 17/02/2018 14:40

Welcome from me too Madpink. I also appear to have missed you initial entry for some reason. I hope your travels go well and that our paths cross on a site somewhere. Let us all know how you first trip went. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook