Newbie - seeking advice

WoodBurner81 replied on 16/04/2019 15:45

Posted on 16/04/2019 15:45

Hello all, we are really keen to get caravanning this season and have a budget allocated..

As a family of 4 we would like a 4-berth caravan.

However, we are restricted by the towing capacity of our Vauxhall Zafira 2002 1.6 Petrol.

This is the first stumbling block - I can't quite establish the exact towing capacity for the vehicle.

There are four weights on the VIN plate which I think indicate the following:

1970kg (Gross Vehicle Weight?)
3315kg (Gross Train Weight?)
*am I correct in thinking that GTW minus GVW gives towing capacity of 1345kg?

However, underneath that there are the following lines:

1-0945kg
2-1050kg

Is this last one (1050kg) the towing capacity? Seems likely.

I have identified the Elddis Xplore 304 and the Adria Altea 390DS as potential options if this is the case - we like the look of both of these, especially the foldaway bunks for the kids.

Any advice on the vehicle weight thing would be most welcome - and any other caravan suggestions as these two options seem few and far between in the used 'van sales.

We have looked into upgrading our vehicle to open up more options, but then I run into another issue which is that I am post-2013 CATB only license holder, which restricts me to towing 3,500kg combined (GVW+MTPLM) weight, which becomes a whole new can of worms - ideally one I'd rather not open just yet if we can find a working combo to get us on the road.

Thanks in advance!

Wherenext replied on 25/04/2019 10:44

Posted on 25/04/2019 10:44

Hi.

If you go to the top of the page you will see a heading of Advice and Training.

Look under the car section where it will explain matters in more depth.

viatorem replied on 26/04/2019 19:01

Posted on 26/04/2019 19:01

A quick websearch reveals the zafira 1.6i has a tow capacity of 1000kg. This is a low value and I think you will struggle to find a van to suit

Probably best to revisit towcar first with a shortlist of vans.

Waffler replied on 28/04/2019 20:54

Posted on 28/04/2019 20:54

Assuming the 1000kg is correct you will struggle, especially for 4 berths. Freedom caravans make light ones that do have 4 berths or you might try a trailer tent. (These are sometimes called folding campers and are welcome on club sites.  Long term I would advise taking the B+E qualification but the cost of that might prevent holidays this year. Best of luck.

WoodBurner81 replied on 28/04/2019 21:32

Posted on 28/04/2019 21:32

Thanks for all your feedback and comments...

Quick update - we traded up our Zafira for a similar age Honda CRV which has an excellent GVW / towing capacity ratio, for anyone else having this issue.

We've put a deposit down on an Adria Adora 532LT (2007).

Fitted tow bar to the CRV this weekend, hoping to collect the 'van on Wednesday.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook