Newbie looking for advice

ScreenNameE3DC9576CC replied on 26/11/2018 11:35

Posted on 26/11/2018 11:35

Hi all, just recently joined the club and still have not yet decided on what Caravan to purchase.  At first we were convinced that a motorhome would be best, but then realised that would leave us stranded without day to day transport so have decided a caravan would be best.  We have been looking for some time now to get it right, as we hope to be working in Europe and will be living in the caravan which will be parked for 6 months at a time.  The configuration we like so far is the Swift 560 (https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/caravans/swift-challenger) as it allows each to get up without having to climb over each other at nights on the double bed and there is sufficient room to walk on each side without moving the bed either.

I would appreciate any other ideas for caravans that we could consider, also should we go new or second hand?  Our gut instinct is new, as the guarantees are better but happy to listen to more experienced campers.  We do want a 4 berth.

eurortraveller replied on 26/11/2018 12:01

Posted on 26/11/2018 12:01

I don't know where your job in Europe will be based, but if you decide to buy a caravan you will also need to find a campsite where you can park it for six months. Not always easy.  Frankly if your job is lasting six months in one place then I would rent a room or an apartment. And bear in mind the outcome of Brexit and whether you will need a long stay visa and a work permit of some sort. 

viatorem replied on 26/11/2018 12:33

Posted on 26/11/2018 12:33

Layout and decor probably sway most purchases, my advice would be to do some homework on the technical side, weights of van and towcar, load margin, construction and chassis etc. As you are planning long term travel  it will be advisable to check that the load margin ( = MTPLM minus MRO Kg) is sufficient for your needs or if the van can be upgraded to your requirements. Most UK vans have as standard a minimal load margin. Check what is defined in the MRO (Mass Running Order) it probably allows for one gas bottle, mains cable and other sundries amounting to around 25Kg. So an extra gas bottle or a motor mover will be using up the load margin allowance.

I do like your choice of layout, here are a few similar layout vans that may be worth a look.

the Adria and Knaus can all be upgraded to a decent load margin.

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/caravans/phoenix/phoenix-640

https://uk.adria-mobil.com/technical-data/501/309

https://uk.adria-mobil.com/technical-data/494/312

https://www.knaus.com/en-uk/caravans/starclass/layouts-data/690/standard-equipment/

ScreenNameE3DC9576CC replied on 26/11/2018 12:57

Posted on 26/11/2018 12:01 by eurortraveller

I don't know where your job in Europe will be based, but if you decide to buy a caravan you will also need to find a campsite where you can park it for six months. Not always easy.  Frankly if your job is lasting six months in one place then I would rent a room or an apartment. And bear in mind the outcome of Brexit and whether you will need a long stay visa and a work permit of some sort. 

Posted on 26/11/2018 12:57

Thanks Euror, the job will be working on a campsite with pitch supplied free of charge.  Should the current Brexit deal go through then anyone living in a European country will be able to remain there and claim citizenship after 5 years.  One of the main reasons we are doing this now. 

eurortraveller replied on 26/11/2018 14:24

Posted on 26/11/2018 12:57 by ScreenNameE3DC9576CC

Thanks Euror, the job will be working on a campsite with pitch supplied free of charge.  Should the current Brexit deal go through then anyone living in a European country will be able to remain there and claim citizenship after 5 years.  One of the main reasons we are doing this now. 

Posted on 26/11/2018 14:24

I wish you good fortune.

Go and try your campsite job for the summer season if you wish, although I think you are unlikely to get the French legal minimum pay, and you may quickly come to the conclusion that the site owners are using you as cheap labour. 

But I think you will need a more permanent residence for five years over there if you are seriously thinking of eventually applying for citizenship. Good wishes. 

ScreenNameE3DC9576CC replied on 26/11/2018 14:30

Posted on 26/11/2018 14:24 by eurortraveller

I wish you good fortune.

Go and try your campsite job for the summer season if you wish, although I think you are unlikely to get the French legal minimum pay, and you may quickly come to the conclusion that the site owners are using you as cheap labour. 

But I think you will need a more permanent residence for five years over there if you are seriously thinking of eventually applying for citizenship. Good wishes. 

Posted on 26/11/2018 14:30

Once again, appreciate the concern but we are not actually working for the campsite, we will be hosts for one of the glamping operators (Eurocamp/Vacansoleil etc.)  I have been travelling with them for many years and have spoken extensively to people who currently do hosting for them so am aware of the pros and cons,  You are also correct that we will need to also have permanent accommodation and will be doing that too.

Shuttleworths replied on 28/11/2018 10:59

Posted on 26/11/2018 14:30 by ScreenNameE3DC9576CC

Once again, appreciate the concern but we are not actually working for the campsite, we will be hosts for one of the glamping operators (Eurocamp/Vacansoleil etc.)  I have been travelling with them for many years and have spoken extensively to people who currently do hosting for them so am aware of the pros and cons,  You are also correct that we will need to also have permanent accommodation and will be doing that too.

Posted on 28/11/2018 10:59

Sounds great, hope you have a great time. The Swift looks good, and you are definitely right about the bed layout. I would also go new if you can afford it. Best of luck!

Trini replied on 29/11/2018 09:23

Posted on 29/11/2018 09:23

We have an Elddis Affinity 550 which is the same layout on a single axel.

We have found the layout great. I would just add if you can, consider a twin axel for the extra space esp considering how long it will be your home.

A good quality full awning is great for adding space as well.

ScreenNameE3DC9576CC replied on 29/11/2018 15:40

Posted on 29/11/2018 09:23 by Trini

We have an Elddis Affinity 550 which is the same layout on a single axel.

We have found the layout great. I would just add if you can, consider a twin axel for the extra space esp considering how long it will be your home.

A good quality full awning is great for adding space as well.

Posted on 29/11/2018 15:40

Trini thank you for the response, I actually really like the look of the Elddis.  I would consider the twin axle but am struggling to find one with that layout.

There is no question that we would definitely get a full awning for all sorts of reasons.

crown green bowler replied on 30/11/2018 10:47

Posted on 30/11/2018 10:47

One other factor to remember is any replacement parts you may need. A lot of caravan makers use the same heating and fridge's and fittings but if you buy new you will need to use the warranty and get repair's done out there, which I would think will not be easy. So maybe think on the lines of a European built van because the Germans make lot's with the layout you will require,  and if you do come back to the UK then it's not a problem here.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook