New member introductions

Complete My Profile
Dismiss
Next Step: Optional Profile Information
Your profile is 50% complete!

Advice please - We have decided to take the plunge and buy a caravan
By Jc77, 17 hours 

Hello everyone 

A total newbie to the caravan world and am clueless really although I have been doing plenty of reading but my head is spinning a bit with all we need to know.

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge and buy a caravan very shortly.   We have 3 young girls,  oldest is seven so we are looking at a 5 berth. We have a budget of £10000 or so. Can I get a decent caravan for this price that will last a good few years? What age of a caravan is acceptable? I have a Kia carens 2016 so I think I should be able to tow no bother. I have been quoted £450 for a tow bar supplied and fitted (is this a reasonable price?) 

I don't know if we should buy it from a dealer or go private. I travel between Ireland and UK at the moment and would be willing to travel  anywhere in the UK and Ireland to buy one.  Any recommendations? 

All advice and tips would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks all

greenysuz replied on 25/04/2018 19:53

Posted on 25/04/2018 19:53

Hi, you really need to find out what the towing weight limit is for your car firstly. If you do decide to buy privately then you need to do your research. I would go around as many dealers as you can just to see whats out there as vans can vary in condition & price etc. It would help if you could could take an experienced caravanner with you as they would know what to look for. Damp is the main thing to look for but also check if they have been regularly serviced. You can always check with CRIS when buying privately fo find out if its been stolen written off,finance etc. I have just had a towbar fitted on my S-Max for £300 with 13pin socket. But quotes were as high as £400, you can find a fitter through NTTA.

nelliethehooker replied on 25/04/2018 20:23

Posted on 25/04/2018 20:23

Coguish, firstly have a look at the Club's "Advice and training" section at the "match your car & caravan" section. You should get some ides of the size of caravan that is suitable for you to tow with your car.

cyberyacht replied on 26/04/2018 06:41

Posted on 26/04/2018 06:41

You should be OK with any caravan that has a MPTLM of 1350Kg or less, give or take 20Kg. I certainly wouldn't waste time looking at anything that is above 1400Kg.

chasstreet replied on 29/04/2018 15:46

Posted on 29/04/2018 15:46

Best advice I recieved

just spend weekends looking around dealers 

tell them you’re new to this 

you want advice but will be looking at all options for next few weeks 

remember it’s your 10 k you’re spending you want the best you can get but more importantly you want what’s right for you NOT what’s right for the dealer 

enjoy the adventures 

S15LVO replied on 30/04/2018 19:10

Posted on 30/04/2018 19:10

How old are the kids? Do they sleep ok as it is in the night or are the up and down to the toilet all the time? this is the things to think about when it comes to layout.

I would like to get bunk beds for my 3 but they all want to sleep on the top and so will have to take turns but as the youngest is only 2 1/2 I would need one that has some protection from them falling out of the bunks. also you will want to make sure there is a "solid" door closing off the end bedroom area at night, while the grownups are having a rest.

Toro replied on 01/05/2018 16:40

Posted on 01/05/2018 16:40

Bear in mind that if you buy privately, you will be "buying as seen" so expect this to be reflected in the price, compared with a dealership's price. If you buy from a dealer you should get some warranty, but bear in mind that it has to be that dealer who rectifies any faults that arise, and since you don't have a trade-in I would expect the dealer to give a reasonable discount on their asking price. In the perfect world it is better to buy from a local dealer as you won't have too far to go for any faults to be fixed.  

paul56 replied on 02/05/2018 14:42

Posted on 02/05/2018 14:42

Also consider there could be many more 'additional' costs when equipping a caravan if it comes empty - everything from a knife and fork to gas bottles and an awning. this will all add to/subtract from your budget. Agree with the comments about getting a discount for non - part ex - if you don't ask you wont get.

Also agree with taking your time and look around as many dealers as you can to see what is out there and especially what layout you are looking at/ what would suit.

Caravanning can be great with kids - especially if you eventually get them to bed! Good hunting.

geoffeales replied on 03/05/2018 14:51

Posted on 03/05/2018 14:51

welcome Coguish! 

All good advice above, especially about getting the right van for your car which can be pretty disastrous if you get that wrong. We just paid £300 for our tow bar with single electrics so £450 sounds a little steep. Try Towbar Express who come to your house and fit it, good deal and its a Witter (one of the best). We have a 12yr old Coachman which we love and they still go for around £5k so your budget is fine. Perhaps if this is your first buy think about going for something a little less and you'll then have enough for all the extras you'll need. 

Enjoy!

Waffler replied on 11/05/2018 20:28

Posted on 11/05/2018 20:28

My daughter has looked for suitable family caravans and is interested in a Sprite with twin bunks and a single dinette at the rear. Sleeps the 3 kids and gives them a day space. Parents use the front dinette. I think you might find one in budget. I suggest you try your local centre for a rally. The kids will have many friends and you will have a social life. You will also get advice from other members. Contact the rally secretary and tell them you are newbies. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook