Lee hill replied on 10/10/2018 11:03

Posted on 10/10/2018 11:03

Hello all

Hi sorry if i have done this wrong i am new to all this.

We have just bought our first motor home its a Auto-trail Cheyenne 840 can anyone give me any advise on what to look out for

So looking forward getting out and about  

cyberyacht replied on 10/10/2018 11:20

Posted on 10/10/2018 11:20

What to look out for? Confined spaces and how to avoid them. wink That's a very palatial rig you've got yourself there.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/10/2018 16:28

Posted on 10/10/2018 16:28

That's some gihuge MH, Lee. Watch out for grounding and swing on that rear overhang.

Welcome and enjoy your trips away.

peedee replied on 11/10/2018 07:24

Posted on 11/10/2018 07:24

Welcome, nice outfit. As you won't find it too easy to park it off sites chose your sites carefully so they are near public transport and think about getting alternative means of transport .e.g. bikes. If you haven't got one already, get yourselve a sat nav to help you avoid low bridges and unsuitable roads. Make sure it is one which lets you define your motorhome size and weight and preferred roads.

peedee

Apperley replied on 14/10/2018 18:16

Posted on 14/10/2018 18:16

Big motorhome. Plan your routes. Have a look at site directions online. Have a look at google street view for the last mile. Never trust a Satnav 100%, always read the road signs. 

Remember at slow speeds your rear end will pivot out on you rear wheels and you can’t see that in your mirrors. There are some good YouTube tutorials mainly based on American RVs but still good.

if you have a passenger on board get them out to direct you when reversing, and watch for tree branches or overhead obstacles that don’t apply to a car.

in terms of ‘what to look out for’, think what tools you need to take for breakdown or repair and have a security plan.

young thomas replied on 17/10/2018 08:22

Posted on 17/10/2018 08:22

I wondered if the question meant what to look for with regard to issues with that type of van?......or any van that's a few years (8-9 ish) old....

firstly, that awful four letter word.....DAMP.

i hope the van was supplied with a full habitation (and base vehicle) service along with a comprehensive damp check report.

also, I hope you got a warranty of some sort, likely to be only 3-6 months max so ypure right to get out there and use it...

i don't know if you have access to the van at home....yes it's a biggish van but no larger than a couple of cars on a drive.....

if so, you can check out all the elements of the habitation side fairly easily and become more familiar with the controls  in your own time.....

major things like...

using the hook up cable and turning on the gas supply.

check the oven hob and grill (gas and electric hotplate)

heating and hot water (check on gas, electric and both)

fridge (gas, electric and from alternator.....just start engine to switch over)

use a voltmeter to check that all batteries are being charged when they should be...

engine running should see a raised charge at the cab battery and the leisure batrery from the units split charge facility.

similarly, with the mains hook up plugged in, the leisure batteries and cab battery should be charging.

if you have a solar panel, again this should charge the leisure battery and cab battery.

practise filling the fresh tank, turn on the water heater and check hot and cold water flow from all taps (kitchen, washroom, shower).

this should also allow you to check the draining of that water from all areas back into the waste tank. 

I see you have a Status aeriel on the roof, have a practice of setting this up and getting the to tuned in.

there are many, many minor checks you can run through too....do all the cupboards and lockers open and close smoothly, do the catches work properly.

i realise you have fixed bed in the rear, but are you ok with making up any other beds ?

all,these things you will undoubtedly come across on your first trip or two, but if you have the opportunity to become a little more familiar prior to requiring them in anger, then all the better.

also, if something key (heating etc) isn't working properly, better to know before its required.

i realise this looks like a long list of things.....but believe me, it isn't.

these are the major things you come to take for granted when you spend time away.

yes it's a large van and this will result in having to be a bit more vigilant than in a small van, in certain circumstances.

however, it's a comfortable spacious van and I hope you have a lovely time discovering Motorhoming.

come back with any more questions/issues.

cyberyacht replied on 17/10/2018 11:12

Posted on 17/10/2018 11:12

As you are over 3500Kg, I presume you have the requisite categories on your driving licence.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 22/10/2018 11:43

Posted on 22/10/2018 11:43

Welcome Lee and congratulations on your new motorhome! cool

You can find some useful information here: Top 19 motorhome questions

Also feel free to post on Club Together in the relevant forums as other members have lots of useful advice and are happy to help.

Happy holidays and enjoy your new motorhome. Keep us updated on how you get on. 

Lee hill replied on 29/10/2018 16:03

Posted on 29/10/2018 16:03

Hi All thank you for some great information & Advise it means a lot, we have been out for a couple of adventures so far we stayed at Hillhead in Brixham last weekend had plenty of time to figure most things out, everything works fine so far we are really pleased with it got a trip planed this weekend to Brean 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook