New to motorhome ownership

Kirsti 089DC3AB11 replied on 05/10/2020 12:54

Posted on 05/10/2020 12:54

Hi,

I have recently bought my first motorhome (1998 Ford Legend) and would love to get any hints and tips from fellow motorhomers on how to start on the hobby. I realise that times are somewhat strange and there are unlikely to be any motorhome owners' rallies and meets this year.

Are there any informal meetings or get-togethers where members can share experiences and get to know each other?

I am a 64-year old single lady who plucked up the courage to buy a motorhome after several years of wishing I had one. The idea was to wait till I find my Guinevere (re. "legend"), and then drive off to the sunset to find new adventures, places to visit and people to meet.

Then came Covid-19.

Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Regards,

Kirsti 

brue replied on 05/10/2020 13:36

Posted on 05/10/2020 13:36

Welcome to CT Kirsti, you'll find lots of useful and encouraging info on here! Firstly I'd say have a look in the solos sections as there are groups who meet up and I'm sure you'd be welcome. New Companions is one of the groups which has been running for a long time and there are others. Also look at what local CAMC centres are doing, you might like to join a rally, you don't have to be a centre member to sample what's on offer. They have meets all over the uk on an informal basis and there's always help and advice available.

Do hope you have a good time with your motorhome, the freedom of the road awaits you! Happy travels. smile

Kirsti 089DC3AB11 replied on 05/10/2020 13:55

Posted on 05/10/2020 13:55

Hi Brue, thanks for the warm welcome and the tips. Do those groups operate within this website? I didn't see them.

Then again, navigating the content is a bit overwhelming at first. :)

Kirsti

brue replied on 05/10/2020 14:08

Posted on 05/10/2020 14:08

Kirsti, hello again! Take a look in the membership section and click on centres (menu bar at top of the page.) This should bring up all the centre web sites and contacts, you can also join a centre from your profile area, you don't have to join the nearest one but it might be useful as a starter. You can also join a rally as a visitor without centre membership, let them know you haven't tried a rally before.

Groups like New Companions operate their own web sites and you'll find them on the web. With your Autosleeper you can also join the Autosleeper Forum, which can be found on the internet, lots of contacts and information on there.

Hope this is helpful, please ask for moe details if needed! smile

PS We run an Autosleeper too, quite a few AS owners on here.

JillwithaJay replied on 05/10/2020 14:18

Posted on 05/10/2020 14:18

Hi Kirsti and a warm welcome to Club Together.  Well done you for getting off your bum and following your dream.

>>> This <<< link might help you to consider the New Companions Club.

LLM replied on 05/10/2020 14:56

Posted on 05/10/2020 12:54 by Kirsti 089DC3AB11

Hi,

I have recently bought my first motorhome (1998 Ford Legend) and would love to get any hints and tips from fellow motorhomers on how to start on the hobby. I realise that times are somewhat strange and there are unlikely to be any motorhome owners' rallies and meets this year.

Are there any informal meetings or get-togethers where members can share experiences and get to know each other?

I am a 64-year old single lady who plucked up the courage to buy a motorhome after several years of wishing I had one. The idea was to wait till I find my Guinevere (re. "legend"), and then drive off to the sunset to find new adventures, places to visit and people to meet.

Then came Covid-19.

Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Regards,

Kirsti 

Posted on 05/10/2020 14:56

Lots of singles join the Motorhome Fun Forum.  Currently over 45,000 members covering most countries especially europe and the "Fun" meets are legendary.  It is not a free forum (£15 p.a.) but in my view worth every penny.  It's free to try wink

Here's a link: Motorhome Fun  

tricia11 replied on 05/10/2020 16:10

Posted on 05/10/2020 16:10

Welcome Kirsti,

I hope you enjoy your new found Hobby and get lots of pleasure from your Motorhome.

Lets hope we can all get out and about soon.

Takethedogalong replied on 06/10/2020 10:00

Posted on 06/10/2020 10:00

Hello and a warm welcome Kirsti!

Lovely Legend you have there, and I like the name choice!😁 Like you, we have an Autosleeper, ours is a Gatcombe, code name Gertie. We have owned ours around six years now, and have had some lovely cosy and comfortable tours across the UK. Tinwheelers suggestion of joining the Autosleeper owners forum is a good one. Lots of help and advice, it’s very friendly, and of course being all about AS, if you need any advice someone on there will know the answer😁

We are further North than you, up in Yorkshire, but we usually see quite a few monocoque models tootling around on our travels and there’s usually a nice shared wave amongst the owners, so say hello if you get the chance. They are a much loved type of MH, not for everyone, but those that do own them, tend to love them. Wishing you many happy adventures😁

This is us picnicking at Carew Castle in South Wales

Kirsti 089DC3AB11 replied on 06/10/2020 13:02

Posted on 06/10/2020 13:02

Thank you to all for your lovely encouraging messages. I will join the groups mentioned, and hopefully will meet some of you up and down the country on my travels, once the Covid-19 threat eases and rallies will once again be held.

I, too, would like to take Guinnevere across the channel and on a leisurely drive to Finland, where I originally come from. I have done the trip several times by car, but this would be the first time in my own motorhome.

I took the van to a garage in Bristol this morning with view to having lap belts installed in the forward-facing section of the U-shaped seat, but was told that it would not be possible. Have any of you managed to do this? If so, where?

Regards,

Kirsti

Tinwheeler replied on 06/10/2020 13:19

Posted on 06/10/2020 13:02 by Kirsti 089DC3AB11

Thank you to all for your lovely encouraging messages. I will join the groups mentioned, and hopefully will meet some of you up and down the country on my travels, once the Covid-19 threat eases and rallies will once again be held.

I, too, would like to take Guinnevere across the channel and on a leisurely drive to Finland, where I originally come from. I have done the trip several times by car, but this would be the first time in my own motorhome.

I took the van to a garage in Bristol this morning with view to having lap belts installed in the forward-facing section of the U-shaped seat, but was told that it would not be possible. Have any of you managed to do this? If so, where?

Regards,

Kirsti

Posted on 06/10/2020 13:19

A similar question about fitting seat belts was asked on ASOF recently. From memory, I think it was no go because you need proper chassis mounting points, or steel body members, to anchor them.

It’s not just a case of fitting the belts but of ensuring such fitting is approved or you will have an instant MOT failure in future.

The law in the UK about carrying passengers in a MH in unbelted seats is a minefield but, even if legal, carrying a passenger unbelted in a 'plastic' MH body is far from ideal. 

I hope you make your trip to Finland before too long.👍🏻

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook