New Motorhomer desperate for lockdown to be eased

TheSwanson replied on 10/05/2020 11:39

Posted on 10/05/2020 11:39

Finally getting round to registering here. We are based in the East Midlands and bought our motorhome (Bessacarr E496) last summer and managed a few trips in it before winter (as far north as Dunnet in Caithness, plus a few closer places like Derbyshire and Norfolk). We are a family of four plus an ex-racing greyhound (who absolutely loves the motorhome).

I made the mistake (in retrospect) of putting it into storage instead of keeping it on our drive.

Over the winter the vehicle battery died (despite us fitting a solar charger) and has been visited by mice - so I removed the battery and left some mouse traps. I was visiting every couple of weeks to check things - last time I was up there (in early Feb) I did find a dead mouse in one of the traps. We planned to get it all up and running for half-term in February but had to hurriedly change our plans to visit Caithness instead (no campsites are open up there during off-season, so we ended up renting a small house).

We had a longer trip booked for Easter, so I ordered replacement batteries (the leisure battery also died) and these arrived in early March but before I got up to fit them, I had to head to Caithness again. I only just made it home before the non-essential travel ban and have been sat on my hands ever since.

I am hoping that the government gives a clear message on non-essential local travel soon so I can get up to the storage compound (10 miles away) to clear out any dead mice that might be in there, plus get the vehicle battery fitted and bring it back to the house so we can keep an eye on it (plus deep clean etc. after our "visitors"). I realise that travelling anywhere further afield in it is pretty unlikely until much later this year (if then) but it would be good to have access during this time.

JVB66 replied on 10/05/2020 13:44

Posted on 10/05/2020 13:44

We have not had any access to our caravan since the lockdown and untill we understand the end of junesurprised

Bakers2 replied on 10/05/2020 14:09

Posted on 10/05/2020 14:09

We sold our motorhome last year, various reasons, but as our storage didn't give refunds we didn't cancel our storage. It has been cancelled now and the barrier access card deposit has been returned 😉. (6 months storage fees not returned but the space could have been re-let, explained why there were always empty spaces but the storage was full when folk enquired!)

As far as I know access has been and still is available but the number of emails from the site owners begging that folk observe social distancing and only go if necessary suggest folks aren't being sensible or alert!

I sympathise with you about non access and I hope you manage to check it over before too long.

I'm hoping we can buy another motorhome once things ???? I don't know what word to insert 🤔 and we can resume some form of travelling. But I want us both to be alive more than buying another motorhome 😀

CholseyGrange replied on 10/05/2020 17:25

Posted on 10/05/2020 17:25

Lets hope you get out again soon.  If you want to 'stay local' then please consider a CAMC CL (5-van siye) many of which are very suitable for Motorhomes.  

Get a flavour from this..

CLs celebrate VE Day in style in this You Tube Video

https://youtu.be/czfk91L04eQ

Caravan and Motorhome Club 5 van sites across the UK celebrate VE day in many different ways. We suggest you put the SOUND ON.

We all look forward to meeting you again to share our homes and farms with you.

John Snowball replied on 10/05/2020 20:17

Posted on 10/05/2020 20:17

Well, after the broadcast tonight by the Prime Minister, it looks like you might be able to drive to another destination from Wednesday. Day out to the seaside or a park but social distancing still applies. Scotland, N Ireland and Wales seem to be out! 

davetommo replied on 10/05/2020 20:22

Posted on 10/05/2020 20:22

That means that 1 day this week Preston will be gridlocked because the M6 is closed due to a bad accident between Preston and Lancaster

Tinwheeler replied on 11/05/2020 08:08

Posted on 11/05/2020 08:03 by Lonerangers

I was under the impression, all CL's were closed until the end of June, Is this not the case?

Thanks

Posted on 11/05/2020 08:08

Yes, they're all closed.

TheSwanson replied on 16/05/2020 13:40

Posted on 16/05/2020 13:40

Stage 1 complete, I now have the Motorhome back home.

I managed to fit the new starter battery and it started first time. I was prepared for lots of problems with ECU etc. but it was all fine, even the brakes. All my traps were unoccupied so it looks like the mice cleared out. 

We will probably book a Scottish trip for later in summer in the hope that things have eased by then, and if not we will just see what we can do locally.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook