New Member Hello and advise request

JWF replied on 20/08/2016 18:05

Posted on 20/08/2016 18:05

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have just bought our very first new motorhome and are very excited and looking forward to touring around firstly the UK and then around Europe. Any help and advise would be very much appreciated. The van is a Hymer MLi580 so would also be good to speak to any other members that may have the same or similar van as well.

Although we don't receive delivery of the motorhome until around the 15/9 we have already joined a few clubs so that we can start to plan where we may visit, such as the Caravan club, Brit stops and French passion.

The dealership has suggested that we shouldn't worry to much about the extras we may need and to just get out there and try first and then decide on what we may need. Even though I agree with that advise, beleive now is the time to have any extras fitted whilst they have the van and so is ready and prepared for any immediate long distance travels we may consider. Some of my concerns are that when looking at most of the French passion sites they don't have an electricity charging facility and if say with 2 leisure batteries we were to get around just 1 week or less of battery power, then assume we would need to find larger sites to recharge the batteries. My question here is what do most of you do to cover for long periods without this facility. (we will have 2 leasure batteries) would you have 3 or 4 fitted or and would you have fitted solar panels and if so what would be you recommendations?

Many thansk in hope of a few replies. I hope to that I likewise will be able to offer advise to others once we have some experience behind us.

Kind regards,

John & Alison 

replied on 20/08/2016 18:36

Posted on 20/08/2016 18:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Pauljw replied on 20/08/2016 21:47

Posted on 20/08/2016 21:47

Hi John and Alison , fitting 4 batteries would be a lot of weight . What You need to measure is what amount of amps / watts You would draw from the battery and then You can determine whatever size solar panel You would require wether it was a roof mounted one or a portable free standing one . I haven't read [Deleted User User]s link , but it should give You all the advice You probably need Smile

Paul

peedee replied on 21/08/2016 07:19

Posted on 21/08/2016 07:19

Welcome to the world of motorhoming JWF. I would definitely get a solar panel fitted in preference to fitting more batteries. The Continent gets more sunshine than we do so it is the logical way to go it you are spending time off hook. That with moving on regularly will keep you batteries nicely topped up. Roof panels work very well and you don't have to find somewhere to store it like a folding free standing panel which incidently can easily get damaged if you are not careful on how you store and handle it. Solar panels are an easy retrofit if your dealer doesn't fit one. The only other items I would not be without from the start are, a wind out awning with a storm strap, a food grade 25 metre hose and a watering can. The last two items are of course for taking on fresh water.

Enjoy your travels and pick up anything else you feel you need as you go along.

peedee

QFour replied on 21/08/2016 10:01

Posted on 21/08/2016 10:01

FIRST and most important what COLOUR watering cans to buy. Get two as it's far easier to carry. You will also find that they can be used at every kind of tap known to man. You can also walk over and get filled rather than waiting in a queue. Hose pipes are a waste of time IMHO. Certainly look at a Solar Panel 150w make sure it has a dual controller to charge both batteries. Also join www.wildcamping.co.uk where you will find alsorts of strange things like Toilet Locations, Water Taps, Wild Camping Spots, Pubs Stops, French Aires and now Spain. All of which have been tried by members. It really is £20 well spent.

Your Dealer will be the most expensive place on earth for a solar panel. Get them to put the cable gland on the roof for you and fit your own. It will only take a couple of hours if you are handy with tools. If not find someone else.

Outdoor Lady replied on 21/08/2016 20:16

Posted on 21/08/2016 20:16

Hi JWF We also bought our first Motorhome in February this year and also a Hymer (B744) I came across this article "How to survive a non 24hr hook up site " by John Therat he explains why, what type, and how to fit solar panels. We found it very interesting. Ours came with solar panels so we didn't have that that problem but in our opinion a "must have" My advice is go away for a couple of w/e and you will soon realise what you need by watching others and learning by mistakes. We are still learning but it is getting much easier and sooooo enjoyable. Have fun and enjoy and try not to jump on the band wagon of who has the best.

Mr Sambambles replied on 21/08/2016 20:47

Posted on 21/08/2016 20:47

Hi JWF.

We have recently bought a Hymer MLT580. Have been to Europe for 4 Wks and just back from Dorset for 8 days. In Dorset we were on a non elect CL. Perfect. Before we picked up our van we arranged for our dealer to fit a 120W Solar panel and charge controller which I provided. This was also linked to the cab battery too. The wiring in the Hymer was already there from the factory and they just charged for the Labour only. Not that expensive. They were very happy to do that and we did not want to compromise the warranty by drilling holes ourselves. We have also fitted a 14kg lightweight refillable gas cylinder ourselves. On our last trip to Dorset in 8 days we only used half of the gas and the solar panel always kept Our single battery topped up full. In conclusion, with plenty of gas. Solar panel and single battery there should be no problems. Remember also with a Motorhome when you drive it also recharge both cab and habitation batteries. Hope you enjoy your new Hymer. We love ours. 

BlueVanMan replied on 22/08/2016 08:01

Posted on 22/08/2016 08:01

In general terms the dealers advice not to rush out and buy lots of accessories is sound. What you need will depend on how you use your van and individual preferences. I would suggest the following are essential (and consequently buy them at the outset) :-

Hook up cable,

Gas bottles (propane if you intend to use you van in cold conditions)

Levelling blocks.

Hose for refilling water (see also below)

Toilet chemicals and loo roll !

If you want to have TV on your travels you will need a TV and aerial. You will probably buy a couple of chairs for sitting outside (and perhaps a folding table) at some point. Many items of crockery cutlery glasses storage boxes (for food etc) can simply be transferred from home as well as cleaning utensil dustpan brush etc  but eventually you may have sets for the van and sets for home.  If you are going to travel abroad for more than a couple of weeks at a time and depending on gas useage/time of year the non availability of calor gas will become an issue and you may wish to invest in a refillable gas cylinder (gaslow or whatever) These are relatively costly and the payback period relatively long which is an argument for doing it at the outset but I would wait it bit just in case you don't like this vehicle/motorhoming.

Consider alarms and security carefully and the adequacy of any dealer fit solution. 

Particularly on the continent some sites are less formal or if on an aire have limited facilities so you may wish to consider a water container 10L is workable if storage space is limited 25L if it isn't but it weighs over 25kg full so heavy to carry. A filler funnel (some screw apart or collapse for easy storage). Also a tank for decanting grey water. Hymer make a super low profile 19L tank which you may be able to order though your dealer (we bought ours at the Hymer factory shop in Bad Waldsee). A cheap folding bucket (Outwell on e-bay about £5) will save your bacon when your tank if getting full and you want to decant a small amount of grey out.

So the cost of the items you need  is quite small and one advantage of taking you time is that through experience you will buy the items that best suit your needs and perhaps have a van which is better organised and not filled with "junk"

young thomas replied on 22/08/2016 08:24

Posted on 22/08/2016 08:24

as youve joined France Passion, like non-ehu CLs, and may well be using aires in France etc...a solar panel will complement your twin leisure batteries....no real need for four, at least not until youve had a chance to experiment.

next, refillable gas is a great way of acquring supplies all over europe at a pump, just a different adaptor in some countries, easy. even your uk has will ne around a quarter of the price of a typical calor bottle.....and also, calor not available other than in the uk.

again, if youre spending time on grid, a small inverter might be useful of you have a particular need to run a 230v gadget. remember, tv, water pump, are 12v and most gadget charging can be done from usb points....

perhaps the dealer might throw some of this stuff in, though i feel youve passed the bargaining point.....?

ps, if a tv fan, a roof mounted satellite system will save a lot of angst when setting up.....and allow viewing of BBC etc as far south as the med coast...

good luck, lovely van, nice outlook....Happy

replied on 22/08/2016 09:08

Posted on 22/08/2016 09:08

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook