New and looking for advice

Ricster replied on 05/03/2017 18:12

Posted on 05/03/2017 18:12

Hi all, we have only had our caravan for two months and already love it. kiss Based in Bristol, we have had two trips, one to Salisbury and one to Romsey. I have to say, using the A36 has been a forgiving experience so far. I want to venture into Cornwall this year but am unsure of the routes as I know some access around beautiful Cornwall can be pretty narrow. Have any of you experienced Caravaners any suggestions of Cornish sites with normal driving access, no Porlock Hills or narrow lanes please laughing

Cheers

Ricci

eurortraveller replied on 05/03/2017 18:41

Posted on 05/03/2017 18:41

Welcome Ricci,  From Bristol straight down the M5 and the A30 is easy - and stay close to that road if you want to avoid narrow lanes. We have all sorts of sites here from small to large. You just choose. Cheers. 

HelenandTrevor replied on 05/03/2017 19:13

Posted on 05/03/2017 19:13

Hi and welcome Ricci,  Cornwall is a beautiful county, we stayed at Treamble Valley last year, lovely site and area, site access ok, if you follow club directions. Lots of sites to choose from though.smile

Tinwheeler replied on 05/03/2017 20:25

Posted on 05/03/2017 20:25

I live here and have no problems. I see you are a tugger and you should  rest assured that, if a caravan site exists at the end of a road, you won't be the first person to tow to it. Sites would get no business if they were inaccessible.

Yes, there are some very narrow lanes but they won't present a problem if you're touring in the car with the van left on site.

Which way you enter Cornwall depends very much on your ultimate destination. It'll be M5 to Exeter and then either the A30 or A38 into Cornwall. Both roads are good and are mainly dual carriageway. 

There are far too many sites in Cornwall to give you suggestions without knowing your requirements. If you list a few possibles I'll try to remember routes etc. You can always check them on Google Earth. 

ABM replied on 05/03/2017 21:56

Posted on 05/03/2017 21:56

Don't  be  surprised  Ricster,  on  some  of  the  threads  you  will  get  answers  you  did  not  want  to  questions  you  did  not  ask  laughingwinkBut  all  with  the  very  best  of  intentions   of  course !!

N1805 replied on 06/03/2017 10:22

Posted on 06/03/2017 10:22

It greatly depends on which area of Cornwall you wish to visit. There is a site at Carnon Downs [Truro area] which would give you the option to explore/check out other sites around there by car only.  Can’t comment on their facilities as I have not been.  Good luck in your research.  

DSB replied on 06/03/2017 11:12

Posted on 06/03/2017 11:12

I've never been to the Carnon Downs site, but havecdriven past it and access seems good.  I'm sure it is a good site, as not only is it a CAMC Affiliated site, but I understand it is run by the Valence family, who used to own Leverton Place at Greenbottom the other side of Truro.  Leverton Place was sold fow commercial development - no doubt it was a financial offer too generous to turn down! smile

We always use Globe Vale, just outside Redruth.  A brilliant site with very friendly and helpful owners.  Access is not to bad - it's quite close to the A30.  The last bit is a little narrow but we've never had any problems - apart from a couple of houses it's basically just access to the site.  Your very unlikely to meet anything that would be unable to get out of your way.  Globe Vale would get my recommendation 

David

RowenaBCAMC replied on 08/03/2017 11:11

Posted on 08/03/2017 11:11

Hi Ricster and welcome to Club Together and the Caravan and Motorhome Club. So pleased to hear you are loving your caravanning adventures and looking forward to hearing about your holidays. 

I'm pleased to see you've had some useful advice and recommendations of sites. Cornwall is one of my personal favourite destinations. We also have the search by map function on the Club website which you may find useful as it uses Google maps so you can switch to satellite view. 

I hope you have a fantastic time and look forward to reading about it on Club Together. smile

Ricster replied on 08/03/2017 22:50

Posted on 08/03/2017 11:11 by RowenaBCAMC

Hi Ricster and welcome to Club Together and the Caravan and Motorhome Club. So pleased to hear you are loving your caravanning adventures and looking forward to hearing about your holidays. 

I'm pleased to see you've had some useful advice and recommendations of sites. Cornwall is one of my personal favourite destinations. We also have the search by map function on the Club website which you may find useful as it uses Google maps so you can switch to satellite view. 

I hope you have a fantastic time and look forward to reading about it on Club Together. smile

Posted on 08/03/2017 22:50

Hi Rowena,

Thank you much. I you posted. The community has been great        

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook