Motorhoming Newbies

TomKat Kampers replied on 07/08/2020 10:45

Posted on 07/08/2020 10:45

Hi all Knowledgable ones. 
As you can see we are motorhome virgins. Pick up outfit on Tuesday. So all recommendations welcome. Thanks in Advance

JillwithaJay replied on 07/08/2020 10:58

Posted on 07/08/2020 10:58

Hello and welcome TomKat.  Good to have you aboard.  

Have a browse through the index and, if you have any questions, start your own new thread in the appropriate section and our helpful members will do their best to advise.

Most of all, enjoy your new motorhome.

SteveL replied on 07/08/2020 15:37

Posted on 07/08/2020 15:37

Welcome to CT.

I would advise using it immediately after picking it up, if you can manage. Before you forget everything you were told at the handover.

Also only load it with the absolute minimum. Then take it to the weigh bridge with full fuel tank, gas, traveling fresh water (we normally travel with 25 litres) and full hot water tank. Plus of course those who will travel in it. This will give you the weight you have left to utilise up to the maximum loading.You can then weigh items before you put them in. Once we had finished we returned to the weighbridge to check it again.

It is surprising how quickly your weight allowance gets gobbled up. My advice is don't load anything just because you think you might need it. Other than the spare wheel of course.

TomKat Kampers replied on 07/08/2020 18:12

Posted on 07/08/2020 18:12

SteveL. Cheers for the first time advice. We are planning to load up Wednesday and disappear for a couple of days 🤞. Our payload is 800kg so hopefully will be ample but of course the wife will be packing lol

vbfg replied on 08/08/2020 13:06

Posted on 08/08/2020 13:06

I typed up and printed off copies of a list of what I need to take with me, just in case I forget anything and each time I am going on a trip, a day or so before go, I start putting what I need in the van and tick it off my list.

JVB66 replied on 08/08/2020 13:29

Posted on 08/08/2020 13:29

Do as Stevel advises ,we have a room full of things we thought  over te years was a good buy at the time, surprised

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook