Motorhome warranty

Z696 replied on 16/02/2022 13:38

Posted on 16/02/2022 13:38

Recently purchased a 5 month old panel van from a car dealer in liverpool. I then contacted the main dealer who sold the van to the previous owner to enquire about warranty and who would carry out the work if required. I was informed that they would not carry out work as I was not the person they had sold the van to, they would however carry out servicing. I have also called other dealers of this van and have been told that they would service the van but they would not carryout warranty work. Is it worth while paying a dealer to service the van or just get it done by joe bloggs. It seems that the warranty work will not be carried out even if you take it to a main dealer.☹

JVB66 replied on 16/02/2022 13:43

Posted on 16/02/2022 13:43

Have you had this conversation with the dealer you bought the PVC from? 

Also contact. the Converter to see what they say

We had a motor caravan some years ago which was bought from  A big nationwide dealership who were only interested in selling not aftersales ,but after contacting the manufacturer any warranty work was carried out by them,

Tinwheeler replied on 16/02/2022 14:09

Posted on 16/02/2022 14:09

It’s not clear to me if you're referring to warranty and servicing of the base vehicle or the habitation conversion, Z6, and they are two different things. I assume you are, in fact! referring to a panel van converted to a motorhome rather than an unconverted van.

I think the best bet would be, as JVB said, to contact the converter you see where you stand regarding warranty and servicing of the hab unit and also contact your local commercial vehicle dealer (Fiat/Peugeot/Ford….) to check the situation for the base vehicle. Once you know the answers, you can then decide where to get the two elements serviced in order to maintain any warranty.

Although the car dealer you bought from is liable in law under the Consumer Credit Act for rectifying faults, I very much doubt you’d have much joy in getting, for example, a Truma Combi boiler or Thetford fridge sorted out by them.

Perhaps if you tell us the converter such as AutoTrail, Elddis etc and the make of the base vehicle, someone here may have knowledge of the warranties concerned.

Z696 replied on 16/02/2022 16:31

Posted on 16/02/2022 16:31

The van in question is a burstner on a fiat chassis. I have contacted burstner with a view to have the warranty transfered, still waiting on a reply. The servicing of the base unit and the hab section is not a problem as most burstner dealers will carry out this work but they will not carry out any warranty work should any need done to the van. The dealer that the previous owner purchased the van from informed me this morning that they would only deal with the person they sold the van to and not the second owner.

JVB66 replied on 16/02/2022 16:49

Posted on 16/02/2022 16:49

On the vehicle V5 document is the address of the previous owner available?, he/she may be able to help?

I thought most LVs would have in the documentation some form of ownership transfer and  warranty transfer information 

All of ours as far back as I can remember have had such documentation 

Tinwheeler replied on 16/02/2022 16:50

Posted on 16/02/2022 16:31 by Z696

The van in question is a burstner on a fiat chassis. I have contacted burstner with a view to have the warranty transfered, still waiting on a reply. The servicing of the base unit and the hab section is not a problem as most burstner dealers will carry out this work but they will not carry out any warranty work should any need done to the van. The dealer that the previous owner purchased the van from informed me this morning that they would only deal with the person they sold the van to and not the second owner.

Posted on 16/02/2022 16:50

I’m not familiar with the ways of Burstner but with regard to the Fiat base vehicle, any Fiat Professional garage should be willing and able to carry out Fiat warranty work.

ATDel replied on 16/02/2022 16:54

Posted on 16/02/2022 16:31 by Z696

Posted on 16/02/2022 16:54

If a dealer would not be repaired to do any warranty work they certainly wouldn’t get any money from me for servicing either.

for warranty work your contract is wit ph the selling dealer, as this was a car dealer I’m really not sure how they would get any warranty work done. You still have the consumer rights act to fall back on if any faults occur with the van

Z696 replied on 16/02/2022 19:44

Posted on 16/02/2022 19:44

The v5 no longer has the previous owners name on it. I think the point I am trying to make is that it does not matter if you have your motorhome serviced at a franchised dealer if you did not buy it from them they will not do warranty work for you if anything goes badly wrong. There are a lot of private sales on websites but if you buy a van that is still in warranty no franchised dealer will fix it if you are the second owner. My van still has the remainder of a 2 year warranty and the remainder of a10 year water ingress warranty but who will carry out any unexpected repairs☹☹☹

Kasspa replied on 16/02/2022 22:58

Posted on 16/02/2022 22:58

As TW has said the fact that the vehicle still has the remainder of a 2 year warranty on it, any Fiat Professional Garage will sort out that side of any problems...

I was quite impressed with the one I used for my 1st service as they phoned me to ask if I wanted a low mileage service as opposed to 'full' service as it wasn't necessary & would save me £'s.....

I would imagine if Burstner authorise warranty work to be done it could be done by any competent & authorised dealership..... the problem with manufacturer warranties is that sometimes they are only transferrable if you buy privately, not from a dealer.

Having said that, the dealer has to give a minimum warranty + as has been said you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015

hope this helps!

kenexton replied on 17/02/2022 08:24

Posted on 17/02/2022 08:24

We used to own Burstner caravans and were very pleased with them.When Burstner issued a safety recall on the windows on our second van we were able to take it to their nearest dealer,not the one we bought it from,for the Warranty work.Have you contacted Burstner about getting warranty work done?When we sold our vans on there was a Transfer of Ownership form to notify Burstner.That was back in 2006,so I cannot speak to the current situation but I find it rather odd -given our positive experiences with Burstner.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook