Motorhome Newbies!

paul and lynn replied on 08/08/2017 17:40

Posted on 08/08/2017 17:40

Hi everyone

Just had a mad day and

a) joined the club

b) Booked two sites in September

c) rented a motorhome

Never done it before, will listen carefully to the induction briefing and off we go to Hawes and Barnard Castle!

Hope to get bitten by the bug!

Best wishes 

Paul & Lynn

paul and lynn replied on 08/08/2017 23:19

Posted on 08/08/2017 23:19

Thanks Bolero Boy and Tinwheeler 

will probably have a list of questions before  our second trip as to how to avoid the same mistakes we make on our first one!

we will try & read the  existing discussions to pick up as much info as possible in case others have already asked "beginners" questions

Thanks again

cant wait!

ABM replied on 08/08/2017 23:33

Posted on 08/08/2017 23:33

Welcome  to  the  Great  Fun  Factory,  Paul & Lynn,  may  you  have  many  years  of  pleasure  from  this  great  pastime  laughing.

Just  one  point  --  if  you  have  or  can  lay  your  hands  on,  a  recorder  such  as  a  cassette  player/recorder,  then  take  it  to  the  Induction  Briefing  !!  There  will  be  lots  of  confusing  details  easily  forgotten  causing  you  much  laughter  and/or  embarrassment --  we  don't  want  that  now  do  we  embarassed  wink

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 09/08/2017 07:06

Posted on 08/08/2017 23:33 by ABM

Welcome  to  the  Great  Fun  Factory,  Paul & Lynn,  may  you  have  many  years  of  pleasure  from  this  great  pastime  laughing.

Just  one  point  --  if  you  have  or  can  lay  your  hands  on,  a  recorder  such  as  a  cassette  player/recorder,  then  take  it  to  the  Induction  Briefing  !!  There  will  be  lots  of  confusing  details  easily  forgotten  causing  you  much  laughter  and/or  embarrassment --  we  don't  want  that  now  do  we  embarassed  wink

Posted on 09/08/2017 07:06

Or if the Antique shops don't have one on offer use the mobile phone for recording eh Grandpalaughinglaughing. Most hirers have an idiot sheet to hand out(I know I've collected one before today).

Good luck & happy vanning P&Lsmile

No offence Musclessmile

Pippah45 replied on 09/08/2017 08:32

Posted on 09/08/2017 08:32

Good Luck Paul and Lyn.  A hired one should have the dimensions of the vehicle on it - but I try to make a mental not of the height and width of what I am driving - its not much fun coming round a corner and finding a bridge in front and trying to think if you can squeeze through!

young thomas replied on 09/08/2017 08:41

Posted on 09/08/2017 08:41

as layout is one of the most important things to get right, this will vary (to a degree) on the number of occupants, and therefore, beds....

also, do you have B+C1 on your license? if not, you will only be able to drive vans with an MTPLM of upto 3500kg....

again, this might have a serious impact on payload should you be travelling as more than a couple.....

Thornsett replied on 09/08/2017 09:21

Posted on 09/08/2017 09:21

Enjoy. Two good sites to start with. Hire companies will do as much as they can to keep their van safe!

Don't worry when you forget what was said at handover. Just ask another motorhomer and they may be able to help. Or ring the hire company.

A common problem is that some newbies put diesel in the fresh water tank or vice versa. Don't!

ABM replied on 09/08/2017 11:51

Posted on 09/08/2017 07:06 by Rocky 2 buckets

Or if the Antique shops don't have one on offer use the mobile phone for recording eh Grandpalaughinglaughing. Most hirers have an idiot sheet to hand out(I know I've collected one before today).

Good luck & happy vanning P&Lsmile

No offence Musclessmile

Posted on 09/08/2017 11:51

I'm  only  75  you  young  snapper of  whips  surprised  but  If  I  should  take  offence, Rocky  Old Mate,  I'll  be  round  to  see  you  this  week-end --  I'm  due  at  York  from  lunch  time  tomorrow { for  the  Driffield  Steam  Rally  as  if  you  couldn't  guess  wink }

Brian 

paul and lynn replied on 11/08/2017 13:55

Posted on 09/08/2017 08:41 by young thomas

as layout is one of the most important things to get right, this will vary (to a degree) on the number of occupants, and therefore, beds....

also, do you have B+C1 on your license? if not, you will only be able to drive vans with an MTPLM of upto 3500kg....

again, this might have a serious impact on payload should you be travelling as more than a couple.....

Posted on 11/08/2017 13:55

Thanks for the tips and reassurance everyone-much appreciated!

Luckily I've got a HGV class one licence from a past life- aware I need to treat these motorhome large vans with the same respect though!

thanks again

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook