Motor Mover advice needed

Clive Burgess replied on 31/05/2024 16:04

Posted on 31/05/2024 16:04

I have a 2018 Swift conqueror.   Each time I leave it at storage and come back the motor mover won’t work which is clearly a pain.  I turn the electric off on the dashboard above the door when I leave it in store and make sure the fridge is turned off but each time I return it’s dead as a dodo so I am obviously not doing something right.  Any help or advice appreciated.    Clive 

KjellNN replied on 31/05/2024 16:21

Posted on 31/05/2024 16:21

There should be a big red turning off switch/key/button somewhere near the battery to cut the power to the Mover.  Otherwise it will continue to pull a small amount even when not in use, and slowly drain the battery.

If it keeps getting drained, the battery will not be happy, you may need to replace it sooner than usual.

Clive Burgess replied on 31/05/2024 16:36

Posted on 31/05/2024 16:36

Thank you.   I have done that and have removed the big key thing.  Is there anything else I should be doing?   Should I be pressing the RCD button on the battery under the seat for example?  

Clive Burgess replied on 31/05/2024 16:38

Posted on 31/05/2024 16:38

Thank you.  I have done that but same issue.  Is there anything else I need to do for eg do I have to do anything with the unit under the front seat?  

KjellNN replied on 31/05/2024 16:53

Posted on 31/05/2024 16:53

I would consult your handbook re turning things off in the van otherwise, but I do not think you need to do anything else re the mover, though if it has its own breaker on the 12v system you could turn it off there.

We have a 2008 vintage Swift so our electrics are less complex, we do not have to turn anything else off.

Do you have an alarm or tracker fitted?   That could also be draining the van battery.

Cornersteady replied on 31/05/2024 17:32

Posted on 31/05/2024 17:32

We have  a similar van to yours..

You say only when you leave it in storage that it doesn't work? In which case it's not the mover but the battery? It sounds as if your battery is not holding it's charge over time. Is it the original battery? And do you leave it in place over the winter for long periods? If so your battery might need changing but check the voltage first after a while in storage.

What voltage does it say when you press the 12V power on above the door when this happens? On ours the voltage is shown on a circular display on the left with numbers up to 14 (Volts) and corresponding LEDs, from red to green at 14V. I think if it's like ours you can also press the button marked 'view levels' to show the voltage.

Also the button above the door is for the 12V electrics. On ours there is also a master on/off switch underneath the front right bed, which has to be on for the power button above the door to work, are you switching that off too?

Also the CD/radio on ours works when the master is on but the 12V electrics is off for some reason, hence why we use the master switch. 

Is your fridge set to 12V electrics or 240V?

Hope this helps.   

Freddy55 replied on 31/05/2024 18:40

Posted on 31/05/2024 18:40

Yes, as above, you need to make sure that the 12v system is switched off. On the consumer unit (under the right-hand bench seat) there is a black button which should be in the up position (off).

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook