Motor Home configurations

Bobo replied on 07/06/2018 16:26

Posted on 07/06/2018 16:26

We have a Swift Sundance 630L. We love the rear lounge but dislike the over cab bed.Does anyone know of a motorhome ( minimum4 berth ) rear lounge and one drop down bed. The bed would need to be accessible by a maximum of a four step ladder?

Apperley replied on 07/06/2018 17:22

Posted on 07/06/2018 17:22

Have a look at the Bailey range, the Bailey Autograph 79-6 fits your requirements I think, but just be careful of payload, might be worth updating to 3850 kg.

Bobo replied on 07/06/2018 18:03

Posted on 07/06/2018 18:03

Thank you Looked at this one this morning Almost perfect but the bed doesn't go down far enough 

MichaelT replied on 07/06/2018 18:10

Posted on 07/06/2018 18:10

Carthgo Liner for 2, Hymer Duo Mobile, Frankia also do one similar.

Kontikiboy replied on 13/06/2018 20:32

Posted on 13/06/2018 20:32

Hi MT, you are assuming he has a spare hundred grand, or so!    The liner for 2 is advertised in the latest MMM mag but is not yet on the Cathargo web site.  However, I went to a dealer web site who had prices and with necessary upgrades (engine and auto etc) the price had come to close on £120k, without any discounts!

BillC

replied on 13/06/2018 20:50

Posted on 07/06/2018 18:10 by MichaelT

Carthgo Liner for 2, Hymer Duo Mobile, Frankia also do one similar.

Posted on 13/06/2018 20:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

young thomas replied on 14/06/2018 17:37

Posted on 14/06/2018 17:37

...yes, all nice vans....

however, back to earth.....lol.....I think Pilote do an 6.5m A class in this format,

G650U has cab drop down bed, nice open a class cab, rear lounge, double floor.....easy to run at 3.5t.

Kontikiboy replied on 14/06/2018 20:46

Posted on 14/06/2018 20:46

Hi BB, nice to see your back!   How was South of France?

We have just looked at that Pilote 650U and, yes, it is a nice van for its size and price; £75k for auto.  Very bright inside and OH loves the idea of a rear U shape lounge, but the drop down bed looks dodgy!

Very flimsy mattress, no where to store a novel, phone or dare I say a glass and no windows or vent' and it must be up a steep ladder.    Nice van, let down by the bed.      We have seen some nice, practical drop down beds coming out this year but they are on quite expensive vans.  Dethleffs have a good one that drops very low.

The OH keeps looking!

BillC

young thomas replied on 15/06/2018 08:05

Posted on 15/06/2018 08:05

Hi Bill, got back from France 29th, quick dash down to Minehead on the 1st for a roasting long w/e with four pals, and now back in France on the Île de Ré in a gîte on the municipal site in St Martin...

came down in the car on Wednesday, with in laws....(long story, they wanted to come here but don't fly or drive 'over there'....) .

the site here is perfectly placed and quiet, had a stroll round chatting to a few campers and we are missing the van.....because we would be going on somewhere else after our ten days rather than just going home....

oh well...won't be long....back again quickly, no doubt....

re the Pilote, I'm not au fait with their beds but cab beds can have a roof vent, a shelf for 'stuff' and decent lighting, but sitting up can be an issue if sleeping across the van .....there is the cantilever machanism each side to consider...however, the 'slim mattresses' can be deceptive....

ours are quite 'thin' compared to sprung ones, but are described as 'multi zone, cold foam' (like memory foam in different densities in different areas) and are extremely comfy, light and not bulky and no sagging, they have vented sprung slatting to support them.

we like them a lot.

the other three more expensive vans mentioned are all longitudinal beds which is better.....but can lengthen the van...

burstner have one now I think that might have a rear lounge.

generally, these beds come down low enough to be able to hop up with one foot on the adjacent side seat (near the door) but I don't think the Pilote has a seat there, hence the ladder....

of course, there are also plenty of vans now where a drop down bed comes down directly over a rear lounge....they may still have a cab bed (which becomes the second bed)....Mobilvettas K Yacht series has one and can be viewed at Marquis dealers......all uk 'handed' now with door on the uk side.....a really nice van.

personally, if I was looking for a nice non fixed bed (non garage) van with a decent large lounge, I'd be looking very closely at the Frankia 640SD with huge longitudinal drop down a class bed, with easy hop up, enormous 8 seater lounge, great kitchen storage, terrific across the rear  washroom, deep double floor storage etc....

new ones ain't cheap but an 18 month old one should be a great buy..

good touring, Bill.

BB.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook