More newbies!

Willmac1980 replied on 04/08/2018 20:53

Posted on 04/08/2018 20:53

Hey everyone,

We’re new to this completely! Never owned a caravan or Motorhome before and we’ve just invested in a 2012 Swift Escape 686. 

We pick the van up from the dealers on Tuesday and already have a weekend in Cornwall (Newperran Holiday Park) booked for this weekend. 

Its been a bit of a journey - having passed my driving test in 1998, I had to take my C1 theory and practical which I managed to get sorted last week.

We’ve spent the last week thinking about accessories, security etc (and haven’t got very far!).

Anyway, looking forward to being a member, getting tips from you all and a few nice holidays!

Will

Bakers2 replied on 05/08/2018 08:19

Posted on 05/08/2018 08:19

Hello and welcome to CT and our great hobby 😁.

Glad you've booked your first trip, try to keep your hands in your pockets as it's too easy to buy useful stuff 😉 we all have a collection in garages, sheds, spare rooms etc 😂🤣.

We keep our motorhome ready and just add clothes and fridge contents before we head off. You'll probably do the same - it's saves remembering and bringing stuff back. Obviously bedding toiletries towels crockery cutlery will be needed. Think though your days activities and gather essentials. Take a hosepipe to fill your water tank - sometimes they're supplied but you can't know what the previous person used it for 😲😲. Ensure you take on from drinking water tap.

Watch your pay load weight limit VERY EASY to overload. Take your time, ask fellow .campers or on here if you want help, were all generally a friendly bunch 🙂. Pack your sense of humour and enjoy

Willmac1980 replied on 05/08/2018 10:09

Posted on 05/08/2018 08:19 by Bakers2

Hello and welcome to CT and our great hobby 😁.

Glad you've booked your first trip, try to keep your hands in your pockets as it's too easy to buy useful stuff 😉 we all have a collection in garages, sheds, spare rooms etc 😂🤣.

We keep our motorhome ready and just add clothes and fridge contents before we head off. You'll probably do the same - it's saves remembering and bringing stuff back. Obviously bedding toiletries towels crockery cutlery will be needed. Think though your days activities and gather essentials. Take a hosepipe to fill your water tank - sometimes they're supplied but you can't know what the previous person used it for 😲😲. Ensure you take on from drinking water tap.

Watch your pay load weight limit VERY EASY to overload. Take your time, ask fellow .campers or on here if you want help, were all generally a friendly bunch 🙂. Pack your sense of humour and enjoy

Posted on 05/08/2018 10:09

Thanks! We’re really looking forwards to it. The dealer provides a startup pack so we’re heading up there today to find out what that includes so we can pick up any extras. 

We’re only away for two nights so we’ll pack stuff from home and we’re hoping that’ll give us an insight as to what we need to invest in..

Hedgehurst replied on 05/08/2018 22:04

Posted on 05/08/2018 22:04

The short stay for a first trip is certainly a great idea. We learned a lot from ours, chiefly that that my wife needed the mattress improving with a memory foam topper if she was going to sleep. If we'd committed to long trip before knowing that we'd have had problems indeed.
Have a great time not spending more than you need, and an even better time in your new van.

Robidoo replied on 26/08/2018 09:47

Posted on 26/08/2018 09:47

Welcome willmac you’ve got a great hobby hope your first trip went well. My top 3 newbie tips would be.

Number 1 tip for a newbie is always check you nose hitch weight before you drive away and try and get it spot on. 

2-enjoy yourself 

3- take things as they come and buy the stuff that makes you smile ,my Mrs favourite accessories are her mini vac and fold out washing line laugh out loud!. Mine is of course my Cadec BBQ a must for the boys 👍👌

lornalou1 replied on 26/08/2018 11:41

Posted on 26/08/2018 09:47 by Robidoo

Welcome willmac you’ve got a great hobby hope your first trip went well. My top 3 newbie tips would be.

Number 1 tip for a newbie is always check you nose hitch weight before you drive away and try and get it spot on. 

2-enjoy yourself 

3- take things as they come and buy the stuff that makes you smile ,my Mrs favourite accessories are her mini vac and fold out washing line laugh out loud!. Mine is of course my Cadec BBQ a must for the boys 👍👌

Posted on 26/08/2018 11:41

I think you'll find she has a motorhome so nose weight is not a worry.  

Robidoo replied on 30/08/2018 23:05

Posted on 26/08/2018 11:41 by lornalou1

I think you'll find she has a motorhome so nose weight is not a worry.  

Posted on 30/08/2018 23:05

Laugh out loud! Good job I read posts in detail before I answer with a totally twollop bit of advice 👍 I hope Wilma 1980 hasn’t gone out and bought a gauge . Reckon i’ll Be buying of them 🤪

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook