Levelling learner

bevo666 replied on 03/08/2017 14:26

Posted on 03/08/2017 14:26

We've recently bought our first caravan 😀 Because we are a large family (4 children) we've bought a large caravan! I'm wondering how to level it if necessary, it's a twin axle. How do you all level yours?

Many thanks in advance

lucy

DSB replied on 03/08/2017 14:46

Posted on 03/08/2017 14:46

Use some levelling blocks underneath one side of the caravan like in the first photo below.

Alternatively, take a look at the second photo, recently posted on Facebook 😂 😂.  Not to be recommended.

David 

richardandros replied on 03/08/2017 14:57

Posted on 03/08/2017 14:57

Have a look at 'Lock 'n Level' at  https://www.locknlevel.co.uk/

Also has the advantage of allowing you to fit twin wheel locks easily, whatever the ground conditions - although compared with ramps, boards etc, it is expensive - but in my experience, well worth it.

Bakers2 replied on 03/08/2017 15:08

Posted on 03/08/2017 14:46 by DSB

Use some levelling blocks underneath one side of the caravan like in the first photo below.

Alternatively, take a look at the second photo, recently posted on Facebook 😂 😂.  Not to be recommended.

David 

Posted on 03/08/2017 15:08

Out of curiosity do you know where that caravan photo was taken? I suspect it's not the UK 😉.

We stayed for one night only, another story, at the C&CC site at Yeovil many years ago and there were caravans at the top sited like this.  ðŸ˜²ðŸ˜²ðŸ˜²

DSB replied on 03/08/2017 15:24

Posted on 03/08/2017 15:08 by Bakers2

Out of curiosity do you know where that caravan photo was taken? I suspect it's not the UK 😉.

We stayed for one night only, another story, at the C&CC site at Yeovil many years ago and there were caravans at the top sited like this.  ðŸ˜²ðŸ˜²ðŸ˜²

Posted on 03/08/2017 15:24

Absolutely no idea Bakers2.  It was a photo Vivien put on Facebook.  Looked horrendous to me!

David 

bevo666 replied on 03/08/2017 15:41

Posted on 03/08/2017 15:41

I have levelling ramps, just wondering how you get two on the same side

Navigateur replied on 03/08/2017 15:57

Posted on 03/08/2017 15:57

There are two parts to leveling, leveling across the way and leveling end to end. 

For sites such as The Caravanning Clubs there is never a huge slope so firstly I put the van where I want it to be and use a builders level on the bare floor to check it is level from wheel to wheel. Move the van forward (or back) as appropriate, then use some long bits of decking offcuts to bring up the low side, or if it is deep gravel, sometimes scrape away the high side.

It should be possible to level the van front to back with the movement available on the jockey wheel, and then wind down the steadies to keep it there. A few wooden blocks can be handy if the steadies don't reach down enough, and these can be made out of bits of recovered joists from the same builders' skip as the decking.

If it is a big slope, as in the picture above, the proceedure is the same but the van will not level fore and aft, so move it out and add some more decking or blocks for under the wheels and run it up onto them.

If you are using the Alko wheel locks that require the wheel to be in a particular position to bolt in the lock block, just pay attention to the wheel being in the right position before you start and once it is up on any necessary wheel packing it will be only a minor movement to get it spot on.

I made a gadget once for a lady who was having to caravan solo and had no idea how many blocks to put under a wheel to get level. I got a plumb bob and screwed a tiny hook into the ceiling so it would hang just above the floor.  I then put a block under the wheel on one side, and marked where the bob hung. Then same for two blocks, and also three.  Using a ruller I marked the floor the same on the opposite side of central. Now all she does is site the van where she wants, hang up the bob and read off how many blocks she will need.  I even made her some half thickness blocks to get it perfect.

DSB replied on 03/08/2017 16:05

Posted on 03/08/2017 15:41 by bevo666

I have levelling ramps, just wondering how you get two on the same side

Posted on 03/08/2017 16:05

What I do is to place a single leveller on the floor by the wheel and then with the motor mover engaged or hitched up to the car) move the one wheel on to the leveller, just a little further than you need.  I then put the other leveller the other side of the wheel as a 'safeguard', so that the caravan will not roll back/ is not on just a single slope.  Hope this makes sense - sorry I don't have a photo.

Careful when you move the van onto the leveller.  The caravan can 'move around' a little.

Hope this helps a little.

David 

JVB66 replied on 03/08/2017 17:19

Posted on 03/08/2017 17:19

We have in the past had TA caravans and there was always room to put a leveling ramp between the wheels and then one behind the rear wheelif reversing to level,one thing we did learn very quickly which any c/van is never unhitch before the side to side is level if you do not have a motor moversmile

KjellNN replied on 03/08/2017 21:46

Posted on 03/08/2017 21:46

Twin axle owner for 9 years....

We do need to level side to side occasionally as we use our own shower and need it to drain properly.

For that we use a decking board, or even 2 boards if necessary.  Or short pieces.....we carry an assortment.

Much easier than those levelling blocks.

kevlon replied on 03/08/2017 23:01

Posted on 03/08/2017 23:01

As mentioned above we first ensure the van is level wheel to wheel then use the Jockey wheel to level end to end. Only when I make my first cuppa am I certain if we're level by observing the level of my tea around the rim of my mug. I usually make slight adjustments on day two as we find the van has settled somewhat overnight.

Navigateur, what a great story and an equally brilliant idea.

Lucy, I hope all goes well for you and your family. You'll find that we caravaners never stop learning, even after, in our case, 20 years.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook