Leaving caravan in France/Spain

rossoha replied on 10/06/2023 22:26

Posted on 10/06/2023 22:26

Does it break the law if you leave your caravan [in a storage facility] in France/Spain and occasionally tow it throughout the year with uk registered car? Assuming the owner/car do not break the 90-days stay rule.

commeyras replied on 22/07/2023 09:12

Posted on 22/07/2023 09:12

Wouldn't have thought so but you may have insurance problems with the caravan so check.  I assume that you would have a UK plate on the caravan the same as the towing car.  Don't forget that in Spain if the total length of the outfit (car + caravan) is greater than 12 m you will need a long vehicle sign on he caravan.

Rufs replied on 22/07/2023 13:27

Posted on 10/06/2023 22:26 by rossoha

Does it break the law if you leave your caravan [in a storage facility] in France/Spain and occasionally tow it throughout the year with uk registered car? Assuming the owner/car do not break the 90-days stay rule.

Posted on 22/07/2023 13:27

I do know that Caravans/trailors towed by Spanish tuggers are subject to an MOT test, not sure what they test for and judging by the state of some Spanish caravans, not a lot, they also have their own number plate displayed, not that of the tugger. 

" Don't forget that in Spain if the total length of the outfit (car + caravan) is greater than 12 m you will need a long vehicle sign on he caravan."

good point, i have these, the Guardia carry stick on ones in their cars, if you get stopped and you do not conform, you have 2 options, face an on the spot fine or give the nice man €30 and he will give you the stick on ones laughing

eurortraveller replied on 22/07/2023 14:39

Posted on 22/07/2023 14:39

I don’t know the situation in Spain, but it is common for UK owners to store caravans in France, and campsites there often provide that facility. Towergate insurance company is one which will provide cover for British caravans stored in France -  but that company  will want to know the proposed storage before they agree to it.

eurortraveller replied on 22/07/2023 16:25

Posted on 22/07/2023 16:25

For instance 150 British caravans stored at this British owned campsite in France. 150 vans at 360 euros a year - you do the math,  but seems quite a money spinner.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook