Hitch lock - towing whilst fitted?

OnlyJen replied on 10/04/2018 21:45

Posted on 10/04/2018 21:45

Hello

Some of you may remember me as "solo granny with camper" but now quite often "Granny with Camper accompanied by sister and towing her caravan"...

Not new to towing but it was so long ago now that time and my defective memory means that I might just as well put myself firmly in the "newbie" category laughing

so newbie question number 1.

I have always felt uncomfortable towing with the hitch lock in place.

Until Sunday.

We found ourselves parked next to another Eriba at Gloucester services and getting into  conversation he questioned why I was removing my hitch lock as we prepared to resume our travels. He then went on to say it's quite unnecessary, leave it on until you need to unhitch.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Eriba with winterhoff S3000 stabiliser and winterhoff hitch lock.

Thank you,   Jen

OnlyJen replied on 10/04/2018 21:48

Posted on 10/04/2018 21:48

Oh!

Good start!

Posted in the wrong section!  Should be "New to touring" section.  Can a mod please move for me,  or at least tell me off in the nicest possible way cool

Tinwheeler replied on 10/04/2018 21:52

Posted on 10/04/2018 21:52

It’s not a technical thing, OJ, but a safety matter. In the event of the unthinkable happening, the emergency services could well need to separate the van from towing vehicle. They strongly recommend that you never lock the hitch when towing.

You were right.

OnlyJen replied on 10/04/2018 22:02

Posted on 10/04/2018 21:52 by Tinwheeler

It’s not a technical thing, OJ, but a safety matter. In the event of the unthinkable happening, the emergency services could well need to separate the van from towing vehicle. They strongly recommend that you never lock the hitch when towing.

You were right.

Posted on 10/04/2018 22:02

Thank you TW,  that was my thinking. Why make life difficult for others when you may want them to move very quickly.

lornalou1 replied on 11/04/2018 11:12

Posted on 11/04/2018 11:12

does the hitch lock not restrict the stabaliser lever from closing fully hense not  doing its job correctly. never tried it when connected to car.

SteveL replied on 11/04/2018 11:53

Posted on 11/04/2018 11:53

Ours certainly closed OK on our old van, before being advised as above  and stopping fitting it.  

harryb replied on 12/04/2018 10:29

Posted on 12/04/2018 10:29

A hitchlock is a secrutiy device to help prevent theft. If the van is being towed it can't be stolen so the hitchlock doesn't need to be on.

Also agree with others about releasing in an emergency.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook