Hello

Oldbirder replied on 03/10/2017 10:39

Posted on 03/10/2017 10:39

Hi everyone my mrs and me have been caravanning and camping for many years now. At the moment we have a tent but due to my wife's arthritis tents are no longer an option. AnywAy as we get a bit older (only in body) comfort becomes more important. So tomorrow we are collecting our new swift sienna caravan from a dealer near us. Excitement level in our house is volcanic at the moment 🤗

We are now looking forward to holidays all year round. It's our first time in this club so we are looking forward also to meeting new people we are easy going and we don't mind the sound of people and kids having a good time, in fact please invite us over or come to us for a coffee or sumething stronger of an evening. 

charlieboy2608 replied on 03/10/2017 12:23

Posted on 03/10/2017 12:23

Hi there,

Good luck with your new van!

Not wishing to put a dampener-excuse the caravan pun-on your purchase but please make sure you inspect your van thoroughly including making sure it works on gas/240/12 volts and don't let the salesman hurry you before handing over your money!

Bakers2 replied on 03/10/2017 15:45

Posted on 03/10/2017 15:45

Hello and welcome to the club. VERY sound advice above. Ensure everything is demonstrated in detail. If you can record or video the handover, as there is much information to take it. Might be worth asking to see them test for damp in your caravan whist you watch. Sadly damp is a big big issue even with new caravans. If things don't work or there's damp don't hand over your money until they're fixed. Getting jobs done once you've parted with your money is much harder.

These things are said not to detract from your exciting new purchase but to give you a heads up and to avoid future disappointments.

That said once you've got it use it locally, so you can pop home for anything vital you've forgotten 😉 so that you can check it all works and familiarise yourself with the whole experience. Lastly enjoy 😆

ABM replied on 04/10/2017 11:56

Posted on 04/10/2017 11:56

If  you  have  still  to  collect  your  new  'van  take  Bakers  advice   and  record  the  'Handover'  talk.  Lots  of  things  to  remember  and  its  only  at  11 pm  on  a  cold  wet  night  you  realise  that  the  instructions  for  using  the  heater  are  missing  from  your  memory  !!  ( Well  you  know  what  I  mean  --  some  vital  bit  or  other  of  info  frown  !!)

Then  get  out  and  enjoy  yourselves  !!

DSB replied on 04/10/2017 23:50

Posted on 04/10/2017 23:50

Hi Oldbirder.  Welcome to Club Together and to the world of caravanning.  All the very best for your new adventure.  Do let us know how you get on.

Da5

replied on 06/10/2017 03:34

Posted on 06/10/2017 03:34

Welcome to Club Together and caravanning, Oldbirder. Good luck with your new caravan!

Bellsboy replied on 07/10/2017 12:10

Posted on 07/10/2017 12:10

A warm welcome from me too Oldbirder. I hope that the handover of your new toy was painless and that you are now ready to start booking sites and getting amongst us. Have a great time.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook