Hello from beautiful Teesside.

Juacc0 replied on 16/02/2018 21:00

Posted on 16/02/2018 21:00

Hello caravanners,

I am a month or two away from my driving test - I hope!

After years of shivering in tents, trying to find the flat bit in a bumpy field, the bit with no manure on it, etc... shivering in sleeping bags, wondering on windy nights if I'll wake up in the top of a tree ten miles away etc. etc...

....I am finally in a position to think about a First Car.  Common sense says "Ford Fiesta".  Yes, they are cute, and I will love my first car no matter how rustbuckety it is.  But, the escapee voice in the other ear says "Honda Jazz".  With some clever seat folding, it seems you can sleep in it, but it apparently is not the best for motorways being sluggish and lots of road noise.

I suspect the wallet will have the final say... time will tell.  Gotta get mobile for this summer somehow.

My parents have a Swift Bolero so I get to use the kitchen and loo, lounge on the nice comfy warm seats, then get booted out at bedtime to my icy boudoir.  I also camp with a bunch of tent loving friends and can't wait to never have to cuss at a tent peg ever again.

Does anyone else here have a car which they regularly sleep in?  I'm interested if anyone else does this and how you chose a car which can also be used for going to work etc...

Julie.

Tinwheeler replied on 01/03/2018 13:02

Posted on 01/03/2018 13:02

Hi, Julie. Good luck with your driving test.

I doubt anyone here sleeps in a car and I'm afraid it’s something not allowed on club sites unless that car is a conversion with dedicated beds, storage and so on. Things could be very different on commercial sites, though, but I recommend checking with the site operator before you assume it’s OK to sleep in the car.

Similar cars that might be worth considering are the Hyundai ix20 / Kia Venga - they’re the same thing.

ABM replied on 01/03/2018 15:01

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:01

Have  to  agree  with  TW  about  sleeping  in  cars  on  sites,  Julie  but  if  you  search  thro  ads  in  caravan,  motorhome  & camping  mags  you  may  well  find  an  awning  rather  like  a  PRAM  HOOD    which  folds  over to  cover  the  rear  door  of,  say  an  estate  car.

These  have  been  around  since  I  was  in  an  ex army  ridge  tent.  and  one  might  help  you  on  your  trips  BUT  even  the  finest  caravan/motorhome  can  sometimes  have  an  awning  attached  and  thus  use  the  Dreaded  Tent  Pegs.

Best  wishes  for  your  Driving  Test  but  but  but  please  remember  that  passing  the  Test  will  signify  the  Start  Of  Learning  To  DRIVE  !!

Well  that's  what  my  tester  told  me  back  in   1959  and  I'm  still  learning  with a  clean, clear  unblemished  licence.

Brian

Tinwheeler replied on 01/03/2018 15:22

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:22

Be aware, Brian, that the club will still not countenance sleeping in the car even if a tailgate awning is attached. One of our number asked the question and Rowena confirmed that the vehicle had to be a dedicated conversion.

Other sites do exist......

nelliethehooker replied on 01/03/2018 15:34

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:34

We have seen a lady, with a dog, using her car to sleep in on a CL, and it would appear that she did it on a regular basis. However it was a large Volvo estate, and I'm sure not many sites would allow it to happen.

ABM replied on 01/03/2018 15:36

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:36

I  did  agree  with  your  first  line,  TW,  and  was  only  suggesting  a  way  forward  for  Julie  to  consider  --  I  do  have  to  provide  help  & advice  for  the  next  but  two  generation  of  'Outdoor  Lovers'  or  I'd  be  called  an ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,  ,,surprisedwink

brue replied on 01/03/2018 15:45

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:45

Julie, one of our daughters and her partner use a tent and a small Citroen van to go camping. They sleep in the van sometimes and have kitted it out for holidays with removable equipment. They don't use club sites as there are lots of small farm and country sites which cater for their needs. Their friends are like minded and they prefer small out of the way sites for walking or surfing etc. The van doubles as a work van.  Good luck! smile

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 02/03/2018 07:48

Posted on 02/03/2018 07:48

I can confirm that you can’t use C&MC sites Julie☹️. I have a pickup with a tailgate awning. I use none C&MC & CL  sites around the Country as the using of the vehicle as the ‘bedroom’ area is acceptable.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook