Hello everyone

dustybin1923 replied on 06/03/2019 15:38

Posted on 06/03/2019 15:38

hi everyone,we bought our 1st caravan in august last year as we have 3year old twins and figured it will be a good way to make some happy memories for/with them...we have used the van a few times and even went to eurodisney setting off on xmas day!!!the roads were very quiet and we set off back new years day again very quiet.we loved towing through france even paris was easy.we used the ferry as it was cheaper for us.we have been away this year a couple of weekends but only local to us lancashire.we are finding its very difficult to utilise the van as with working full time we dont get the time unless its local for the weekend.i suppose we may even look at siting it next year but we will see how this year goes,also hope to make many new friends along the way...thanks for having us.....

Tinwheeler replied on 06/03/2019 15:59

Posted on 06/03/2019 15:59

Hi and welcome. You’ve certainly got off to a good start with your van.

I'm afraid work is the curse of vanners but I’m sure you’ll find plenty of time for breaks. 

I suggest booking early if you want weekends on club sites at popular times as many folk are in the same situation as you.

JillwithaJay replied on 07/03/2019 08:39

Posted on 07/03/2019 08:39

Hi Dustybin and welcome to Club Together.  Slight variation on a well known saying - Work is the curse of the caravanning classes. wink

Glad it's all gone well so far though.

Waffler replied on 10/03/2019 15:32

Posted on 10/03/2019 15:32

Welcome and you’ve got off to a good start.  It’s fine to go locally if that gives you pleasure.  Our shortest trip from storage is 6 miles.  Don’t forget the 5 van sites and the other club if you find it difficult booking weekends.  Also have a look at the rallies your local centres are running, they’re designed generally for folks with work commitments.

JayOutdoors replied on 10/03/2019 17:56

Posted on 10/03/2019 17:56

Siting it for a season could be a good option and may well prove less stressful allowing you to pack and drive there much quicker for more week-ends away without the hassle of trying to find somewhere.  You can always take it off site and go elsewhere for annual hols.  Our neighbours did this and found they got a lot more use out of their c’van,  Good luck – I’m sure you’ll  all have lots of happy times.

Wherenext replied on 19/03/2019 21:07

Posted on 19/03/2019 21:07

Helo and well done you 2. Off to France and through Paris no less within 6 months of buying your 'van.

As Waffler has indicated why not try some Certificated Locations as you seem the adventurous sort. Check out the reviews on the club website, under UK Hoildays and C.L.

Good luck.

dustybin1923 replied on 27/03/2019 13:01

Posted on 27/03/2019 13:01

thanks to you all for such a warm welcome!!

i hope to meet you all over the coming years.

we may look at attending a raly or two this year..

replied on 29/03/2019 17:56

Posted on 29/03/2019 17:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

allanandjean replied on 29/03/2019 18:28

Posted on 29/03/2019 18:28

Hi dusty, as said you seem to have made a flying start, we did go abroad for the first trip when we got first van but it was August!

Times change, and peoples tastes and preferences, but on the basis that if the children are happy then you probably will be as well then, in our opinion, there is nothing that beats camping-be it in a tent, van or MH. 

I started in 1962 when Mum & Dad bought a Lamont frame tent, introduced my wife to it when my parents passed the tent to us and now enjoy holidays both with family, Daughter convinced her husband that getting a tent was a great idea, and friends.

Last year was three weeks in France with 5 of the Grandchildren which consisted, most days, of breakfast, swimming, lunch, swimming, BBQ couple of games of Uno then bed for them and nightcaps for us!!

Wherever you go have a great time.

Merve replied on 31/03/2019 21:36

Posted on 31/03/2019 21:36

Welcome Dustybin. I think that is more than admirable- to Eurodisney and leave on Christmas Day to boot! Yes, as Jill and Tinny say, work is a curse. I remember trying to get away in the van and having a couple of weekends and 3 weeks- if I could afford it! I stuck at it though and now it’s payback - retirement! Enjoy all your trips. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook