Hello and probably cheerio for now

Baymare replied on 20/07/2017 15:40

Posted on 20/07/2017 15:40

Hi,

I am new to this sight and joined mainly to get info on caravaning. As a retired guy of some 3 years whos hobby has been mainly horse riding but needing something that both could share i thought about a caravan. As we have a honda crv 2003 runabout i thought great i could look for a light 2 berth much older used caravan to get the hang of it i am pretty could with horse trailers.

As i delved into the weights etc i thought the crv towing capacity would be fine for our needs however it was some way down the investigation i noticed the nose weight was 60kg which as far as i can see rules a 2003 crv out of towing anything more than an empty wheel barrow.

So folks hello and if any of you have any advice on this subject i would appreciate it before i start thinking about binning the old run about or just go back to horse riding without towing it to competitions. Sad thing is a binned a not bad Shogun as i didnt think i would need it.

So folks any advice would be welcome as i might have to sleep with the horse if somebody doesnt in this house doesnt get her way.

cheers

young thomas replied on 25/07/2017 17:26

Posted on 25/07/2017 17:26

if youre used to driving a horsebox vehicle (not sure if you are...) perhaps you'd be comfortable with a campervan in lieu of having to change youre tow car for something bigger and then might not take to it.

if you looked at vans at the cheaper end, there is a price that they wont go below, so getting your money back should be straight forward.

good luck

Oneputt replied on 25/07/2017 19:49

Posted on 25/07/2017 19:49

Welcome baymare.  You don't say if your CRV is petrol or diesel.  My CRV has a nose weight of 100kg.  Even quite small cars have nose weights approaching 75kg so might be worth checking again.  Don't be put off from this great pastime at the first hurdle.

Pippah45 replied on 26/07/2017 09:58

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:58

Sounds like you towed the horse(s?) with the Shogun.  I am a retired horse tower - and found several cars very good with caravans too - Peugeot 308, 405 Skoda Octavias.  I now have a Mitsubishi Outlander which is real luxury.  I hope you find what you are looking for. 

Firedragon replied on 26/07/2017 11:13

Posted on 26/07/2017 11:13

Hi Baymare, 1. Don't discount cars, it is a fallacy that all caravanners need a 4x4, and 2. actually a lot of older 2 berth caravans may be small but are not necessarily lightweight, with just two beds there may be more wooden cabinetry in them and they can be quite hefty, there are a fair few small 4 berths out there that would actually be lighter (have a look at Lunars). Take your time, enjoy the hunt laughing I'm sure you'll find the right combination for you and your OH eventually. Good Luck

Alison

Baymare replied on 28/07/2017 22:59

Posted on 28/07/2017 22:59

Thanks for the replies i have seen a good few of the really older vans that are light the marauder class. They seemed good considering there age 25+ couldnt find damp and no rot on or underneath the floors. Have looked at newr ones as well. Any thoughts on older vans would be appreciated ee only want something to sleep in for when we go hill walking for a couple of days.

Baymare replied on 30/07/2017 22:55

Posted on 30/07/2017 22:55

Found what suites us its old 1994 small 2 berth alpine sprite. It is dry clean and roadworthy. It is just the job for a couple of days away offering a bed and some place to get out of the Scottish rain and midges. Its a lot easier towing a caravan than having two horses kicking the crap out of a trailer and bouncing all over the place. Think i am going to enjoy this caravan mularky.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook