First motorhome - owner needing advice

Eric Carvill replied on 22/05/2018 17:23

Posted on 22/05/2018 17:23

My name's Eric I live with my wife Sue and a little rescue dog called Charlie. We live in A small 2 bed bungalow in Ferring West Sussex. I have never driven a large vehicle before and was hoping to get some lessons before I picked it up on the 1st or 4th  June. It is a Elddis Autoquest 140 .2011

I would be very grateful for any advice or help in driving techniques.

Kind regards  Eric & Sue

Tinwheeler replied on 22/05/2018 17:36

Posted on 22/05/2018 17:36

Hello, Eric.

I expect it’s too late to get on one of the club's courses -

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/training-courses/motorhome-courses/

You could try a driver training establishment in your area where they do HGV instruction. They might have something around the size of your MH.

Essentially, don't expect your MH to have the performance of a car. It will take longer to come to a halt as well so leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front and brake early. Take corners wider than with a car to allow for the extra length and tail swing. Don’t forget your width and, if in doubt, give way. I suggest trying it out on an empty industrial estate on a Sunday.

Good luck.

cyberyacht replied on 22/05/2018 20:28

Posted on 22/05/2018 20:28

I've recently switched to a MH, having very little prior experience of big vehicles - a hired Transit to move home forty years ago. The main thing to remember is the width and the fact that your turning circle is much larger. Take it gently and it soon starts to fall into place.

mickysf replied on 23/05/2018 06:41

Posted on 23/05/2018 06:41

In some respects you will find it easier. Firstly your cautiousness at driving a bigger vehicle is a help. The higher driving position is a bonus too, you will see more of the road and what's in front of you. Wing mirrors are bigger, they give a large viewing area but be aware of that extra width though, they don't come cheap! The most important thing for me was to become accustomed to what the rear corners of the van is doing when reversing and manoeuvring through tight gateways or when parking. Try to get the whole vehicle through and away from such obstacles where possible before turning. Lastly, when reversing on to pitch be aware of those higher tree branches. Do you have reversing or/and rear view cameras? I also find driving the van far more enjoyable than the car as I tend not to on deadlines and just 'go with the flow' of traffic on the road. 

BrianJosie replied on 23/05/2018 07:19

Posted on 23/05/2018 07:19

Hi there Eric & Sue,good advice there from TW & CY .We have been driving motorhomes for almost 20 yrs including 10yrs with big American RV,s .You will soon get used to it ,just be aware of what is around you and just take your time adjusting.Hope to say hello one day.Welcome to the C&MC & CT.Enjoy your Motorhome .

Brian & Jo

huskydog replied on 23/05/2018 07:36

Posted on 23/05/2018 07:36

Don't forget to know the height of your motorhome, very important when coming across bridges , put the the height,width and length on the sun visor so you can remind yourself easily 

Happy motorhomeing laughing

replied on 23/05/2018 07:44

Posted on 23/05/2018 07:44

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Eric Carvill replied on 23/05/2018 13:29

Posted on 23/05/2018 13:29

Thanks everyone for your help. We will take it easy and we have a friend who already has a MH who will be with us when we pick up the MH. Hope to see you all sometime.  Eric & Sue

young thomas replied on 23/05/2018 16:53

Posted on 23/05/2018 07:44 by

As others have said driver training is available.  One of the most common accidents that happens to new drivers is "tail swipe".  Be aware of the long over hang at the back.  

Posted on 23/05/2018 16:53

Very true, DD....

But also watch out for 'belly swipe'.....wink

if your wheelbase is long and you don't give yourself enough clearance it's also very easy to sideswipe anything especially on your nearside...

like kerbs, lamp posts or cyclists.....frown

this is one reason why longer commercial vehicles now have the centre 'underbelly' protected by metal rails....

mickysf replied on 23/05/2018 18:29

Posted on 23/05/2018 16:53 by young thomas

Very true, DD....

But also watch out for 'belly swipe'.....wink

if your wheelbase is long and you don't give yourself enough clearance it's also very easy to sideswipe anything especially on your nearside...

like kerbs, lamp posts or cyclists.....frown

this is one reason why longer commercial vehicles now have the centre 'underbelly' protected by metal rails....

Posted on 23/05/2018 18:29

This too is very true, when turning left on tight bends and junctions it is advisable to wait and take as wide a turn as possible without endangering those traveling in the opposite direction. As all has said take things easy, go with the flow rather than fight it and enjoy your newly acquired pastime.

AOK replied on 24/05/2018 13:37

Posted on 24/05/2018 13:37

Great advice from everyone which I agree fully with.

Even if you have a reversing camera and sensors on your van I strongly recommend that your OH helps with reversing from a safe place at the back of the van. Agree a set of hand signals in advance because it is often difficult to hear.

As others have said - take your time, enjoy the brilliant driving position and if in doubt don't hesitate to stop rather than feeling under pressure to continue when you are uncomfortable.

Have fun.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook