First impressions and lessons learned

kath99 replied on 24/03/2017 21:33

Posted on 24/03/2017 21:33

We finally did the first night away and survived.  We have a very small caravan - I suspect we will quickly out grow it but we hope to both practice our towing skills and move up in size in due course. Everyone was so friendly.  We stayed at Broadway, a short drive away from us, and the wardens couldn't have been more welcoming once we admitted it was our first time.  

-We couldn't get the electric going at first - turned out my husband (who doesn't read instructions) didn't turn it clockwise. 

-It took us two hours to get fully sorted, without setting the awning up.  The warden had told us not to rush things, so we didn't. As a result, and surprisingly, there was no stress.  Obviously this time has to be seriously beaten!

-We bumped into each other plenty.  

-Ripping up brand new cardboard boxes at the recycling point is a magnet for starting conversations.

-We didn't have anything to fill the cistern water with, 10 trips with a jug will do, but just this once.

-It's amazing how economical you are with water when you have to fetch it yourself.

We hope to have a second trip in a week or two's time, and if it doesn't rain we'll try putting the awning up which might alleviate the bumping.

I am looking forward to following in my parent's caravanning footsteps. Dad kept a list of what he initially spent to set up in 1978.  Things cost a lot more now, but if we get to do half the trips they did, we'll have our money's worth.  See the list (and a photo of me in their caravan) at https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/your-stories/kath99/how-much-it-cost-in-1978/

kath

DSB replied on 25/03/2017 00:14

Posted on 25/03/2017 00:14

Just a practical hint Kath.  When you begin to set up the caravan and awning, every time you feel stressed, have a disagreement or even feel a disagreement coming on, sit down and drink one large glass of wine each.  By the time you've finished setting up, take it from me, you will have forgot your troubles and all the arguments.  laughinglaughing

David

dmiller555 replied on 25/03/2017 08:20

Posted on 25/03/2017 08:20

Thanks for sharing but don't keep a list of expenditure, trust me when I say it can get very depressing. smile

N1805 replied on 25/03/2017 08:31

Posted on 25/03/2017 08:31

Good to know you both enjoyed your trip & posted your experience here & in stories.  I guess your Dad’s list helped you a lot. You’ll soon get into a routine of who does what.  Another hint which I’m sure you’re probably aware of – don’t try putting up awning if it’s too windy.  Have to say many men don’t always read instructions [myself included] & also don’t particularly like asking for help.  Lots more trips to look forward to so keep smiling & enjoy your van.

Pippah45 replied on 25/03/2017 08:58

Posted on 25/03/2017 08:58

Well done Kath 99 and welcome - one comment I would make is that not all club sites require the twist of the electric cable!  Just to confuse us I am sure.  I tend to read instructions - but also say "when all else fails read them"!   You will soon improve your set up time and wonder how it took you so long. 

Indeed carrying water really focuses the mind - good for me at home too as I am on a meter. 

commeyras replied on 25/03/2017 16:10

Posted on 25/03/2017 16:10

Well done on your first outing.  If you do not have an aquaroll get a plastic watering can!  We too started with a small caravan, a little Fleetwood Colchester 2 berth and so can appreciate what you mean by bumping into each other.  We now have a Bailey Ranger fixed bed etc.  So awning nextsealed.  Recommend you lay out the poles on the ground so you can match them up, use colour tape to indicate which ones fit the other.  Pull awning through rail, fit poles (loosely), then fully extend poles and peg out the awning - corners first then the rest.  Adjust poles to give snug fit.  Then put the kettle on.  Sound advice about glass of wine if it gets stressful!   You will quickly get the hang of it.  May I suggest that if it is windy you may wish to postpone your first awning assembly!!  Don't hesitate to ask for help from your fellow caravaners - I suspect you will get it anyway if they see you struggling.

Merve replied on 25/03/2017 16:43

Posted on 25/03/2017 16:43

We've all been there Kath believe me and we all survived it so keep going girl- it'll be sooooo worth it! Welcome. 

karenham replied on 30/03/2017 11:46

Posted on 30/03/2017 11:46

Welcome Kath, if you need any help please let us know. By the way I love your Dads list!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook