Complete beginner

Marvin55 replied on 27/07/2017 09:02

Posted on 27/07/2017 09:02

Hi

Having camped for many years, we are now coming to the time of our lives when pitching a large tent is getting increasingly difficult.

We are now looking at getting a caravan and would like as many hints and tips as possible

My first questions are 'Do we just buy a cheap caravan that matches our current car to test the water?'

What roughly are the insurance and storage fees

what else do we really need to know

thanks in advance

Debbie & Lee

Milothedog replied on 27/07/2017 17:09

Posted on 27/07/2017 17:09

I did this, (bought an older one first) you need to consider how much of a hit you can take if you decided to use it as a PX for an upgrade if like it. I think I got lucky. I lost £1500 in the 1st year so not too bad. 

Buying from a dealer gives you piece of mind but cost more, buying private is cheaper but have it inspected first by a professional.

I would also suggest you sort out storage before you buy. Depending on where you live, storage can range from £ 300 to over £1000 a year.

Insurance is relative to the caravans age and value and where you keep it and how secure the site is.

Iansmile

moulesy replied on 27/07/2017 17:17

Posted on 27/07/2017 17:17

Hi D & L - like you, we gravitated to a van after many years of camping. We started out with a tiny van - I seem to remember something like 300/2 and have gradually upgraded over the years. If you have a couple of local dealerships near you it's worth going for a mooch around - there are some great 2nd hand bargains to be had out there and with a dealer you can be pretty sure the van will have been serviced and damp checked (most important when buying 2nd hand) and you might even get a 12 month warranty or a starter pack of things you'll need but may not have thought of - eg battery, steps, water pump etc.

Storage and insurance depends on the value of your van and where you live - we pay about £250 for each so not a huge outlay for peace of mind.

Hope you find something you like - it's a great way to continue enjoying the great outdoors after camping gets a bit taxing! smile

Pippah45 replied on 27/07/2017 19:32

Posted on 27/07/2017 19:32

I would go for something that matches your present car if possible - what is that by the way?  When I returned to caravanning after a long break I went cheap and cheerful but soon realised I hadn't lost the addiction!  I went round several dealers to have a look what was on offer then bought privately - foolishly without the proper damp checks - although it did work out OK!  Seems all caravans need serious checking for damp these days - even new ones.  Good luck! 

Merve replied on 28/07/2017 20:50

Posted on 28/07/2017 20:50

Best of luck Marvin. It's difficult to advise because I don't know your personal circumstances. A cheap van for a start makes sense but then it might not have all the whistles and bells that would convince you that you have made the right decision - I'm sure you have - you can always upgrade later on but the replies above are all good- there are many Caravans for sale- don't rush- take your time- you will come across that bargain soon enough but PLEASE! Get a professional to damp test it before you part with a penny!! 

black caviar replied on 28/07/2017 22:04

Posted on 28/07/2017 22:04

I think looking for the right van is actually more fun than buying it! Just make sure the van you buy is a good match for your vehicle as that can be an expensive mistake as i found to my own cost , good luck from mrs bc :) the caravan club do a matching service that is free too :)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook